Unsettling Rumors

Start from the beginning

I had been training with the guards for weeks now, determined to not constantly need saving. I was still, physically, the weakest here. But, as some like to point out, that was only because I was not using the energies that were mine by right, as I could be. But I did not want to rely on that power solely. Besides, I was currently employing that to other matters, like healing the lands Aeros messed up, and making sure my people stayed as strong and as healthy as I could. Any extra was usually funneled into a sort of storage that I had constructed, at the ready for when next I needed it. Like, what I did when I was getting ready to evolve the goblins.

"Well done on that last spell Lady Enna." Panted Lorma, finally extricating herself and limping over to me and the boys. "To think you were able to cast it without the chant!"

"Thanks." I said, accepting her hand and letting her help me up.

Now that the heat of the fight was over they were back to calling me 'Lady' again. I rather liked when it seemed like we were all equal, and they just called me Enna. But I was not about to insist upon it. Besides, as Margund once pointed out to me, it was good to keep some formality between me and most of the others, or else they would likely go back to babying me and I did not want that. I needed to be a strong god, not a pretty thing sitting on a pillow eating grapes and directing things from afar. I'd go mad if I had to stay cooped up again; even if it was for my safety.

"Kill me..." was all Ozzie had to say on the matter.

Lorma looked down on the young foxie and rolled her eyes, but helped him and Gabreal to their feet as well. "I just wish we had more to work with when it came to spell work. I am pleased that his majesty approved that the few spell books in the royal library be copied and sent her for us to study, but still..."

Margund had been pretty generous in sending us those books. They were rare here in this nation as the use of spells was rare amongst monster. And the desire to read for that matter. Most magic cast by monsters were based in skills, which were activated by either internal intention, or even verbal activation. Where magic was usually used by humans or demi-humans and could be learned and improved upon with time and dedication. Goblanes were among the few monster races with an aptitude for it.

"We need a teacher." I agreed. "But all we can do is keep practicing with what we have now."

"At least you seem to have an affinity for magic." Said Ozzie, rubbing a lump on his head. "I can barely use fox fire."

Foxfire was a skill based magic cast by those of the fennik line of monsters. Most in the evolutionary line could at least cast a weak fox fire. Iifree was a spell, and normally it was cast with a short chant. Usually the longer the chant the more powerful the spell. But magic could be cast without the chant, but to do so was to take a big risk of the spell backfiring on the caster. Direct casting was much faster but the magician needs to have a great deal of concentration for it to work. The ultimate form of magic casting was non-verbal. Even the slightest slip up on even the simplest of spells cast this way could kill a magician: maybe even those in the vicinity of the caster.

"As glad as I am that you are fascinated with the magical arts, I think you all need to work on less flashy means of battle, yes?" Reprimanded Nord. "Spells are all well and good, but if you can not even defend yourself while casting than what is the point. You all had a good stratagem at first: you three came at me while giving Lorma time to cast her magic." Schooled the older hobgoblin, sheathing his swords in his leather belt. "But you two-" He pointed at Ozzie and Gabreal. "Got in the way of your magician, and she could not accurately cast her spell without also hitting you. And, Lady Enna, once your initial attack failed you should have fell back to protect Lorma."

I and the others exchanged shamed looks, seeing for ourselves that we had quite a ways to go.

"Not to mention, the second your plan failed you all fell apart." Growled a familiar voice. I spun on my heel and saw Lagdon saunter into the training grounds. As time went on I managed to get the high strung prince to loosen up on the full time guarding. At least while I was on the estate grounds, with countless other guards and servants (who were also stronger than me) to keep an eye on me. He had been in a meeting with who knew who for the last couple hours. I got out of being cooped up in my room by telling him that I intended to join Nord in his lessons.