Nonverbal - Dream Team

Start from the beginning

"You okay? You're doing that thing with your fingers," Sapnap gently asked. Dream just nodded. How is he supposed to say "I'm overstimulated" with a nod or shake of the head? I can answer that for you. Not efficiently. "Okay," Sapnap gently said, and went back to talking to George. As they continued to talk, they both noticed his lack of speech, and George decided to speak up on it.

"Y'know Clay, you've been awfully quiet. Something wrong?" George asked. All Dream did was nod. "What's wrong?" George followed up with a concerned drop evident in his face.

Again with the broad questions. He can't fucking answer!

So all Dream managed to do was shrug.

"You don't know?" George asked. Dream shook his head. "So you do know?" Dream nodded again. "Well then-"

"George, wait." Sapnap said. He was starting to think Dream may be overstimulated. I mean, if he gets overstimulated anywhere, this would be the place. There were bright lights, loud music, a lot of people talking amd laughing and screaming the lyrics to the songs, the place was crowded, it would make sense that anyone get overstimulated here. "Are you overstimulated?" He gently asked.

And finally, finally, Dream could start explaining himself.

He nodded, and Sapnap's demeanor immediately changed.

"Okay," He softly said. Now he was remembering when Dream mentioned something about going nonverbal when he's overstimulated, and that was his next question without a doubt. "Are you nonverbal right now?" And dream somewhat happily nodded. Nothing about this situation was good other than how understanding they were being. Or at least trying to be.

"Wait, he goes-"

"We can talk about this later," Sapnap said. Nothing in his voice sounded like he wanted to shut him down, or get him to shut up, he was genuinely promising to talk about it later, and George got that.

"Do we need to leave?" Sapnap softly asked, and Dream was quick to nod. Both George and Sapnap got up to leave, and Dream managed to drag himself up with Sapnap. They made their way through the crowd, and Sapnap could see the discomfort Dream was in walking through everyone. He felt horrible for Dream, as he knows how stressed Dream gets when he's like this. He had only seen Dream when he was overstimulated once before, and it was upsetting just seeing him in such an uncomfortable state.

The moment they stepped out the door, Dream felt like he could breathe again. Surprisingly enough, the cold air felt refreshing, rather than suffocating and icy like he was anticipated.

"Do you want to walk around for a bit? Or do you just wanna go home?" Sapnap asked, George looking at him waiting for an answer. Dream thought for a moment, before holding up a two with his fingers, basically saying "the second option". "Okay, let's go,"

As they made their way back to the car, Dream couldn't help the small, appreciative smile creeping up on his face. He was so grateful that they understood the situation, and knew almost immediately how to react, and what to say. As they made their way back to the car, his smile grew fonder, and fonder as Sapnap managed to find a way to make conversation between all of them. He was doing all of the things his family does when he gets like this, and it felt like he had been doing this his entire life, when this in reality, is the first time he has ever dealt with Dream being nonverbal.

George eventually caught on to how Sapnap was wording things, and started to really engage in the conversation as well. Dream was just so happy and proud to call them his friends. They understood him so well, knew how to accommodate to his needs rather quickly, and in return, he does the same for them. When they got to the car, Dream opted for sitting in the back, as he felt safer being able to see them both easily. The drive home was rather silent. It wasn't awkward, and there were a few remarks made, or observations that needed to be vocalized, but other than that, not too much chatter. Until Dream fell asleep. He was left exhausted being that his social battery had died rapidly when he became overstimulated, so he fell asleep rather quickly.

"How did you know what to say, and how to communicate with him so quickly?" George asked.

"I was visiting his family with him one time and he just so happened to go nonverbal. So I was able to watch them interact and see how they phrased things until he was able to talk again," Sapnap explained.

"Oh cool. I had no idea what I was doing until like- the last second," George giggled.

"Nah you did good, don't worry about it," Sapnap assured as they pulled into the garage. "So who's carrying him in?"
_____________________________________________

1562 words

I'm not a huge fan of how this one played out, so I hope you guys are😅