Truth

"Wake up Princess!"

My eyes were still closed yet I could hear the singing tone of Rayne. Feeling the warmth caressing my cheeks I opened my eyes to see her sliding the curtains open. Rolling to my side I ignored her wanting very much to go back to my dreams. I saw war and love. It felt so real. As if it were truly me standing before the greatest Targaryens feeling everything they could possibly feel. Feeling the air or leaves was euphoric. Like the taste of the finest wines. "I have wine."

Immediately sitting up she already had the cup waiting in front of me. I took a sip and exhaled from relief with a smile plastered to my face. "I did not know there was a council meeting this morning?" I thought out loud.

"You are going to want to finish that." She spoke with a huff as I stood to change. I tilted my head to her before she licked her lips and said, "There are whispers that Lord Corlys has... offered your father... Laena Velaryon to wed."

"He what?"

I stood along the balcony over the castle garden feeling the fresh air flowing across my skin. Braids flowed through my hair as it was halfly pinned in a small ball. In the distance my sights were set upon my father as he strode along the walkway with Laena Velaryon. Rhaenyra stood next to me as our expressions held similar distaste while we fiddled with our golden rings. I could not believe our father was even considering this.

Laena Velaryon was one of our cousins, she was no older than ten and two yet now she stands attempting to pursue my father. I knew it wasn't her fault. As far as I knew it was always the man who decided but the possibility of no longer being needed was a scary thought.

"Do you believe he would replace me as heir?" I asked quietly not taking my eyes off of them.

"I believe the realm would..." Nyra muttered.

I sighed, not sure what to think or speak. I swallowed hard before turning on my heels to curve around the corner. Grabbing my sister's hand I led her along the walkway until a voice stopped us in our tracks.

"It bothers you, does it not?" Rhaenys questioned aloud. I turned to face her but only saw a small smirk.

"Father is the King. Not my position to have emotions on it. He needs to strengthen his line." I looked over her appearance. It was seemingly comfortable yet stiff.

"I did not ask for a lesson in politics. I asked whether this bothers you."

"Laena Velaryon is your daughter, Princess. Does it bother you?" I snapped glaring at her.

"Of course, it does." Her face straightened, taking me aback. I could hear the distress in her voice when she looked away and back over the garden. Trying to slide my hand from Nyras she only tightened her grip. I gave a look of comfort before pulling my hand away and taking steps closer to Rhaenys. "But I understand the order of things."

"You believe I do not?"

"No." She simply put. "I'm not sure you do."

I kept my head held high and back straight. Putting my hands behind my back I fiddled with my rings. "If your purpose is to elicit some anger from me, then you should know that you're failing. Whether it is to your daughter Laena Velaryon or to another girl..." I glanced at Nyra before going back to Rhaenys. "...our father will remarry. If I am correct then it would be sooner than late."

"And that new wife will produce new heirs, and chances are better than not that one of those will be male. And when that boy comes of age and your father has passed, the men of the realm will expect him to be heir, not you." We looked at each other for a moment. "Because that is the order of things." She twitched her head to me with a smirk. "The men of the realm already had their opportunity to appoint a ruling queen at the Great Council and they denied it."