I stepped into the shower and washed a few times before stepping back out onto the rug and drying off. I dressed in a simple pair of sweatpants and a T-shirt. I slipped into my house shoes and grabbed my phone, heading downstairs.

"Just in time." My dad said as he set the table.
I simply smiled and took a seat as I waited. I heard the doorbell go off and soon the sound of someone's high heels clicking against the floor.

I looked up and almost passed out, it was my mother standing in front of me. I squinted my eyes and looked over at my dad. "What is she doing here?" I asked.

"This is a family dinner right?" He responded.
He sat her down and Jamie brought out the plates and drinks. I watched as my mother scrunched up her face at the sweet tea,"Can I have some kind of alcoholic beverage." She pushed the glass away.
Some things never change.
-

The only sound that could be heard was dishes clashing together and the occasional smacks. My dad picked up his napkin to wipe his mouth and cleared his throat.
"I know you guys are wondering what all of this is for..."

I sat my fork down and waited for him to speak.

"All this bad blood between all of us is unnecessary and at this point we all aren't getting any younger and life is to short, so I had this set up so we can talk it out and move on with life.
I slightly rolled my eyes.

"Starting with you Carla." He said to my mom.
She put down her drink and gave him her full attention like everyone else.

"What about me?" She asked.

"You like to play the blame and victim game. When I left you it was for the better but you didn't see it that way. I wanted a better lifestyle, something I would be proud to tell Camila, something I would still be around to tell Camila." He spoke.

I watched as she rolled her eyes. "Really? Because last time I checked you lied and said you were taking trips out of town to move your dope, but in reality you were starting a whole new life."

"I said that so you wouldn't suspect anything. I had just started driving trucks and I didn't know how to tell you right away."

"You cared about your daughter sooo much, but yet you up and said you wanted to call off the engagement then two weeks later you're out the house and living in a new state. And you only left us with eight hundred." She said angrily.

"In cash. Don't forget I left you with half my savings....that you blew through." He quickly corrected her.
"Anyways enough of about you and I. I now want to move onto Jamie." He smiled at her.
My mom huffed making my dad cut his eyes.

"Jamie and I are together and we would like for you to respect her." He stated.

"Respect her for what? She's a whore!"

"I knew this was a bad idea." Jamie said with hurt in her eyes.

"Mom stop!" I demanded.

"Shut up Camila!" She yelled back.

"No you shut up and grow the hell up! Everyone is happy except for you and you can't stand it. She makes daddy happy and if you truly love him like you say you do then that should make you happy as well, not bitter." I let out.

She looked taken back for a second. "What do you know about love? Being with that little....hoodlum isn't love and him running around making babies on you sure isn't love either!"

My dad knew she had crossed that line and quickly tried to defuse the situation, but the damage was already done. I was tired of holding my tongue and tonight was the night I would get something's off my chest.