Evie's breath caught in her throat. She glanced over at him, but then decided she didn't want him to see the surprised (and slightly excited) expression on her face. She looked down at her feet. "It's okay."

"Do you even know what I'm apologizing for?"

"I would assume it's because you beat up Tommy, and then he beat me up because I was the reason you beat him."

Nikki rubbed his forehand with his hand. "I didn't even think about that," he said quietly.

"Then what are you apologizing for?"

"The other night."

Evie's muscles tensed. She hadn't allowed herself to even think about the night at the pool. Even after the initial pain from Nikki's rebuke, it embarrassed her too much. She didn't know what came over her. Was it the alcohol? The cockiness brought on by her pep talk with Diana? Why did she act so sexual and emotional? Evie had hoped that Nikki was too intoxicated to remember what happened, but he obviously did.

"I don't wanna talk about it," Evie responded.

"Why not?"

She sighed. "You know why."

Nikki sat up and smiled. How long had it been since he teased her? "Is it because you groped me? Twice! Or is it how you tried to make me jealous by telling me about you and Tommy?"

Evie tried to look annoyed, but inside, she was actually glad that Nikki was being playful. It proved he wasn't still mad at her. "Well, it worked didn't it? It made you so jealous you beat up Tommy. And don't be accusing me of 'groping' you when you basically ripped off my bikini top and then refused to give it back."

Nikki looked down at the ground. "Yeah, I'm-uh, I'm sorry about that last part. I really should have asked for permission, but...Nevermind." He was silent for a moment before he continued, putting on his playful facade again. "And so you were trying to make me jealous? Maybe because you thought it would reveal whether I still like you? Is that it?"

Evie's eyes widened. "How did you know that?"

Nikki shrugged. "Vince told me."

Evie didn't respond at first, just looked down at her book and stared at one page, going over in her head everything Nikki had just said. She should have been embarrassed that Nikki knew she was doing such stupid, childish things to test his love for her, but at the same time, she was kind of relieved that he knew. The game had come to an anticlimactic end: Nikki knew Evie still wanted him, and the next move was his.

Nikki broke the silence. "Why are you down here?"

"Vince and Diana. They're, uhm..."

"Aaaah. Are they dating now?"

"I don't know. I mean, they've been getting together every night since...that night. But Vince isn't really one for monogamy, is he?"

"So did you fuck Vince, too? Because every time we argue, you seem to fuck one of my friends afterward. Or did you fuck Tommy? I heard Doc caught you in his hotel room the other morning."

Evie narrowed her eyes. "Nikki, I literally walked in on you having sex with Tommy's girlfriend not even three days ago. Where do you get off scolding me for-" The rest of her sentence was going to be something like, 'being a single woman sleeping with single men,' but then it occurred to her that Tommy hadn't been single when they hooked up, and if she had slept with either of them in the last few days, they wouldn't have been single then, either. "Just," she huffed. "I'm not a saint, but you're sure as shit not one either, so I don't wanna hear it."