8. | The Start

2004 - 2009

It felt like the entire world hated me in 2004. But I kept my head down and won three more Grand Slam titles. And winning, I've found, does sway a lot of people.

By 2005 I took Wimbledon for the fourth year in a row. I won it again the following year, along with the Australian and US Open.

Going into Wimbledon in '07. I was twenty nine years old. Everyone was watching to see if I could win my twenty second Grand Slam and set the record for the most single Slam titles. The papers were all saying that I was coming to the end of my career.

I won the match in straight sets. And there it was. My world record.

Just shy of thirty, and I wasn't just great. I was the greatest of all time.

As I stood there on the court, watching the officials walk towards me with the plate, my entire career flashed before me.

I was now the most decorated tennis player by nearly every measure. Most Grand Slam singles titles, most weeks at number one, most titles, most watched female tennis match, the highest paid female athlete of all time.

I was the Delaney Ricciardo I always knew I could be.

I accepted that trophy like all the others, my face stoic, a short speech, waved to the crowd as I held up my trophy, I could hear Daniel shouting the loudest.

But this time, as I waved and turned to leave, it took me longer than usually.

My left knee was killing me. I'd get sharp pains whenever I put too much weight on it, it was slowing me down on the court.

And while I'd been able to stand it up until now due to complete will power, I knew that I couldn't do it for much longer.

"Delaney" my brother said to me as he helped me into the car outside the stadium "you need surgery"

"Stop it Daniel"

But I knew he was right. Before the US Open the paid was so bad I had to get pain killers injected directly into my knee, and I still lost in the semis. The following year, I had to pull out of the Australia Open.

I missed out on the French Open in May to take time off, but when I came back in June for Wimbledon I couldn't persevere through the pain and in all of 2008, I didn't win a single title.

Just before the start of Wimbledon in 2009, Darren sat me down at the hotel in London.

"It's over Delaney" he said "I have done all I can do. You have achieved what you will achieve"

"Excuse me?" I said "no, it's not over. I just..." I looked down at the floor and then back up at him "I need to get the surgery" I said, barley above a whisper "then I can come back"

"Come back so you can lose more? Everyone knows the queen is dead"

"The queen is not dead" I said

Darren nodded his head "Delaney, your body, your skills, they always have an expiration date. And it's now. You are thirty one. It is time"

I looked him in the eyes, sensing what was happening "you already have another player lined up" I said "you've already decided"

"It doesn't matter. Your body is done, Delaney. I do not want to stick around and see what a less than perfect version of yourself awaits at the end of your surgeries. I'm not interested"

"I could bounce back. I could have the best parts of my career ahead of me"

"Not in your thirties" he said "don't make me humour you. If you choose to continue after Wimbledon, I will not follow"

And then he stood up and left.

I ignore him, entering the main draw of Wimbledon, and for the first time in 13 years, I didn't make it to the final 16.

"Get surgery and see where you are" my uncle said to me over the phone "you won't know what will happen unless you try"

"And take the chance I'll lose again? In front of the world?" I said "do you not see how much they are loving this, my failures, my embarrassment. No, I won't give it to them, I can't" I felt tears prickling at my eyes

"So what are you going to do?"

"I am not discussing it with you. I can do this on my own"

Two days later, in august of 2009. I pulled out of the US Open and announce my retirement "I have had a momentous run during a truly outstanding time in the world of tennis" I said as I read my prepared statement "I have achieved everything I set out to do. I believe my accomplishments will forever be remembered. And now, I am done. Thank you"

I did not play a professional match again.

Until now.

She's back ~ L. Hamiltonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें