𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟕 • 𝔸 𝕊𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕠𝕗 ℙ𝕠𝕨𝕖𝕣

Start from the beginning

        "Shu Han has been a bit too bold lately, targeting our allies to invent more shortcomings for us. We will just have to show them that we are the threat, not our armies or nichevo'ya. It is about time that they are on the defensive side and us the aggressors."

        Before wearing the crown, Aleksander adorned military attire. He knows how to play the game of combat. He has won many wars in his years of being a general.

But never without a cost.

        I shake my head unenthusiastically. "Don't you remember what happened last time we hosted a party?"

        "That won't happen again," he states forcefully. His demeanor turns gloomy, eyes bathed in shadows.

        We haven't hosted or attended another social event since last year when the Fjerdan King and his drüskelle kidnapped me. I barely made it out, and Aleksander acts as though he's moved past it, but it still bothers him more than he lets on.

        "You truly think this is the best move?" I ask him.

        "I do."

        "Then a ball it is."

I can only hope it goes as planned. Inviting enemies into our home to display our infinite power can have unforeseen consequences, and that devious glimmer in Aleksander's eyes is not a reassuring sight. . .

***

As the week moves forward, more and more guests arrive from faraway nations. Because of Aleksander's short notice invitations, it forced them to make hasty decisions, which I'm sure my husband was counting on. They had already accepted the invite before realizing how much tumult would be gathered into one room.

Now that the day of the ball has arrived, my nerves are on high alert. Every corner I turn, I make sure to look over my shoulder. Not that Aleksander has let me out of his sight much. Amelia and I have been kept close as soon as the first guest arrived. Not that I can't protect myself, but with all nations arriving, including Shu Han, an extra pair of powerful Grisha hands is appreciated.

        As always, Caroline crafted a beautiful ball gown with hand-sewn gems adorning the top and bottom of it. She left my room to let me change into it after making final adjustments to the design. After sliding it above my hips and over my waist, it delicately hugs my curved frame. I look into the full-length mirror framed in gold at the crisp black fabric. It is tight around the middle and flares at the bottom in waves of silk. Shimmering gold beads and sapphires make up the bodice.

 Shimmering gold beads and sapphires make up the bodice

[Okay, this is my favorite dress yet!]

        My fingers fumble at my spine, trying to lace it up in the back. The door creaks behind me. "Would you help me with my dress?" I ask Coraline while holding the backside from falling open.