Chapter 10: The Trial

The air in the Sacred Grove was thick with tension, a tangible presence that settled over the stone circle like a dark cloud. Callum could feel the weight of every eye on him as he stood before the stone podium. Even the ancient oaks that bordered the clearing seemed to lean in, their gnarled branches poised as if in judgment.

Across from him sat the three Archdruids: Lord Rowan, whose eyes held a glimmer of hope; Lady Stella, whose gaze could cut glass; and Lord River, whose gaze drifted around as he tended to the numerous thoughts racing in his mind.

Lady Stella slammed a wooden gavel onto the stone table she and the two other Archdruids sat at. Whispers from the small audience behind Callum, which included Rose, Oliver, Terra, and all the other saplings he knew, went silent.

"This Assembly of the Triumvirate has been called to pass judgment on sapling Callum Thorne, accused of the unjust murder of Ashton the Abomination by Lady Stella," Lord River began. "Before we proceed, I must remind the accused that unjust murder of a druid is punishable by death. Do you understand?"

Callum nodded.

A small owl flew in and landed on Lord River's shoulder, but it swiftly flew away when Lady Stella's anger flared and she raised her voice. "You must respond verbally to the Triumvirate," she said menacingly. "Answer again."

"Yes," Callum replied.

"Do you confess or do you challenge the accusation against you of the unjust murder of a druid?" asked Lord River.

Callum opened his mouth to answer, but Lord Rowan interrupted him instead. "Apologies, my fellow Archdruids, I don't think unjust murder of a druid is the appropriate accusation in this case."

"Absurd!" Lady Stella shouted while slamming her hand onto the table. "He set Ashton on fire and he died as a result. It was clearly murder!"

"Agreed," Lord River stated while taking notes on a paper with a quill and ink. "Lord Rowan, please clarify your point."

"Certainly," he responded with an uplifting tone. "I don't contest the murder part of your accusation. I contest the unjust part... and the druid part."

"What?" Stella protested. "Ashton was a druid."

"Yes, he was... in the distant past. But before his death, he was an abomination. I've heard that word from your very mouth about Ashton numerous times in my tenure as Archdruid," Rowan explained.

"He speaks the truth," River agreed. "He is called Ashton the Abomination by many, and he is, in fact, an abomination."

Rowan smirked briefly and winked at Callum. "Lord River, please remind us how the Order defines abominations."

"Abominations are aberrations of nature. Abominations are considered extremely dangerous, detrimental to the natural order, and a threat to our continued existence," River read after shuffling through his papers. "All abominations must be contained and terminated."

"Exactly!" Rowan said with a bit more excitement than he intended. "Our forefathers certainly contained Ashton the Abomination here in the Sacred Grove, but they neglected to terminate him. Callum should be praised. He upheld the standards of our Order."

"Agreed," said Lord River.

Lady Stella was seething, fists clenched tightly. Since River agreed with Rowan, she was outvoted two to one, but she chose not to concede yet. "While it is true Ashton was an abomination, when I instructed Callum and the other saplings, I explained that he must live as an example to them all. By killing Ashton, Callum acted with malicious defiance to an Archdruid. This is yet another serious offense." She crossed her arms smugly and glared at Callum.