-018 [INTERLUDE I.]

Start from the beginning

Stella's eyes widened, processing the suggestion. "How did you..."

He chuckled, "Spending the holidays with those who care about you is not only a suggestion but a gentle nudge from the fates."

Stella hesitated, contemplating the prospect of breaking away from the solitude she had resigned herself to. Chiron's words echoed the sentiments she had been trying to suppress-the longing for connection, the need for companionship. The idea of spending the holidays with Percy and Sally, of sharing laughter and warmth, tugged at her heartstrings.

As if sensing her internal conflict, he continued, "Consider it. And when the time comes in the spring, we will start your training."

"Thank you, Chiron," she finally said, her eyes reflecting a mix of gratitude and uncertainty. "I'll...I'll think about it."

Chiron nodded understandingly. "Take your time, Stella. The decision is yours to make."

He turned his gaze toward the entrance of Camp Half-Blood, and a small smile touched his lips. "Now, we should return. I believe Sally Jackson has arrived."

As they made their way back to the Big House, Stella couldn't shake the whirlwind of emotions. The prospect of training under Chiron's guidance offered a glimmer of hope, a chance to control the unpredictable nature of her powers. However, the idea of sharing the holidays with Percy and his mother felt like uncharted territory, a step into a world she had long distanced herself from.

Stella followed Chiron through the snow-covered paths, the crunch of the frozen ground beneath their feet accompanying the soft murmur of the winter wind. They approached the Big House, where Percy stood, unaware of the conversation that had unfolded.

Before they reached the porch, Chiron reminded her, "Remember, you're not alone in this journey. Embrace the connections that come your way, and they might prove to be your greatest strength."

With a warm smile, Chiron left her to join Percy. Stella took a moment to gather her thoughts before walking toward Percy, her heart lightened by the realization that, perhaps, she didn't have to face everything alone.

"Hey, you ready to head back?" Percy asked, a hint of excitement in his voice.

Stella nodded, but her mind was still stuck on Chiron's proposition. Percy, ever attuned to her moods, shot her an inquisitive look. She managed a small smile, assuring him that everything was fine, yet the gears of her thoughts continued to turn.

As they approached the waiting car, Sally Jackson greeted them each with a hug, her motherly warmth enveloping them. Stella couldn't shake the pang of guilt for declining the invitation to spend Christmas with them, knowing that Sally had extended the offer out of genuine kindness.

They settled into Percy's mom's car, Sally at the wheel and Percy beside her, Stella occupying the back seat. The warmth of the car offered a stark contrast to the winter chill outside. The engine roared to life, and they began the journey from Camp Half-Blood back to Manhattan.

Sally, glancing at Stella through the rearview mirror, couldn't help her curiosity. "So, Stella, how was the quest? I only managed to get so much out of Percy when he Iris-messaged me from Olympus."

Percy shot her a half-pleading, half-amused look, silently begging her to spare him from Sally's probing questions. Stella, however, only grinned mischievously in response, as if she had forgotten all her troubles at the chance to tease him.

"Oh, you know how Percy is," She said, her tone playful. "Always the hero, but not much of a storyteller."

Percy's cheeks tinged with a shade of red as he focused on the road, trying to ignore the teasing glint in Stella's eyes.