Chapter 2.1.4 - Awkward

Start from the beginning

Most chuckled, but Emmett asked, "Can you control it?"

"Sure," Cherry replied.

"You could boost your jump or maybe even a teammate's jump."

McGuire laughed. "Like a rocket jump? You played too many video games."

Cherry looked to the nearby roofs, her eyes widening. "I mean... It could work." She turned to Krystal expectantly.

Clara chose that moment to chime in. "Looks like somebody's been volunteered."

Krystal held up her hands. "Oh no. Try it on one of Larian's pets first."

Larian looked up, seemingly offended, before relaxing. "She's probably right. That would be for the best. Indovu won't be happy, but she will cooperate. Anything to help her catch Mod next time we meet."

Emmett and the others in the group were quiet for a moment, no doubt processing what Larian said.

Cherry asked, "Wait, do all of your creatures have names?"

"Yes," Larian replied matter-of-factly. "And they are not my creatures."

Emmett caught a glance of the giant crow circling high above the city. He had so many questions to ask, but couldn't find a place to start.

Larian stood suddenly. "We should be going. Another group of supers approaches from the East. I believe it is the Summit of Heroes."

Both groups dropped to the alley below and quickly said goodbyes. Cherry's group walked south toward the boardwalk, while Emmett's group went toward the West End.

As they walked, Emmett and McGuire pulled off their masks and tried to blend in on the street, while Clara engaged her suit's cloaking feature. The gray lines of her suit faded completely from view. Between that and her muffled footsteps, it almost felt like she'd run off.

"TINA, do you see them?" Clara asked.

TINA replied to everyone. "The two capes appear to be doing a standard patrol pattern. They'll pass overhead in approximately thirty seconds. They do not appear to be following you or McGuire's friends."

McGuire replied with feigned shock, "Hey, they're not my friends—they're work acquaintances."

"So what does that make us?" Clara asked.

"Well, Mod's my heterosexual roommate. You're our plucky comic relief."

Clara snorted a laugh, and Emmett followed suit.

~

The rest of the night was short-lived. The three friends waited for the Summit capes to pass overhead and eventually they climbed back up to the rooftops to continue their own patrol.

Despite their banter, Clara was oddly quiet.

Emmett didn't have the nerve to ask her what was wrong until they were about to go their separate ways.

Clara stammered something, but it was McGuire who answered. "She's just tired of being at fifty percent power."

Clara paused, then quickly nodded in her suit. "Yep. McGuire's right. That's totally what it is. Don't worry though. I'm going to talk to Dad about it soon. ...Speaking of which, are you ever going to talk to him?"

It was Emmett's turn to stammer a response. "Yeah. Soon."

Clara chuckled and turned to go. "Hope so."

Then she flew off into the sky and disappeared as her cloaking engaged, leaving Emmett and McGuire standing alone on the roof.

Emmett watched the sky where Clara disappeared. "Do you really think that's what she's upset about?"

"Hell no!" McGuire said, causing Emmett to whirl around. McGuire was stifling a laugh. "Dude, she's jealous."

"What are you talking about?"

"Come on... You mean to tell me that you didn't realize Krystal was giving you the googly eyes?"

Emmett itched the back of his neck. "I wasn't sure... You really think so?"

McGuire rolled his eyes so hard his mask almost fell off. "Yes. You can trust me on this."

Emmett smirked. "How much experience do you have with women?"

"Loads."

"Dating simulators don't count."

McGuire crossed his arms. "I have enough experience to know when a girl is flirting and when she's jealous."

Emmett groaned. "Goddamnit. Really?"

"For a man who's got lightweight metal alloys and polycarbonate parts, you are dense as shit."

Emmett stood there on the roof, suddenly wishing he were anywhere else.

In the realm of all things dating, Emmett had no game. He was pretty sure he wasn't even good at talking to the opposite sex. Was there a word for negative game? Was that a thing?

McGuire walked over and patted him on the shoulder. "Come on. Let me give you the birds and the bees talk."

"You suck."

"I know."

Emmett and McGuire shared a laugh. Even though they'd only known each other a few weeks, Emmett couldn't imagine having this conversation with anyone else. Even Lock...

Definitely not Clara.

Emmett sighed. Why did things have to be so complicated?

Suddenly, McGuire stopped and turned. "TINA, no matter what you hear... Don't tell Clara any of this. Or the Doctor. Definitely not the Doctor."

"Of course."

McGuire added, "I mean it, TINA. This is serious business."

"I'll take my secrets to the grave."

McGuire cleared his throat awkwardly. "I don't know if all that is necessary, but that's the right idea."

~ ~ ~