Just before the bell. The hallway is packed with Students heading to class. Tatum and Sidney are stood by their lockers. Billy appears in the crowd with Randy tagging behind him. Tatum stops them first.
"Shit. What's he doing here?" She whispers to Sidney.
"I bet he's pissed at Sophie." She mumbles.
Tatum isn't listening. "Do you think Sophie has split with Stu?"
"I...I don't know..."
Tatum frowns at Sidney. "What's wrong with you. You've been acting weird since you got that phone call last night."
Sidney turns to her best friend. "Nothing...just drop it."
Billy stands in front of Sidney. "Hi, Sid. Can we talk for a second." Billy asks her.
"You know if I were accused of covering up two people, I'd take the opportunity to skip school."
"Hey, too easy, Tatum. They didn't do it." Randy says stepping in between Tatum and Billy.
"Talk to me, Sid." Billy begs her, with watery eyes.
Suddenly a scream erupts. All eyes go to a student who's wearing a ghost face mask,running down the hall. The bell rings and Sidney walks in the opposite direction.
Billy grabs her wrist. She turns to face him. "Where are you going? I will walk you to class." Billy offers.
Randy drags Tatum to class, leaving Sidney and Billy to talk.
"Bathroom." She replies, avoiding eye contact.
Billy clenches his jaw. "You're lying. What's going on?"
"Nothing."
"I thought we made a promise not to lie to each other."
Sidney meets his eyes. "Fine...you wanna know? How long have you and Sophie been seeing each other?"
Billy's eyes widened in shock. How could she think that.
"I'm not. I promise you...she's more like a sister to me." He says truthfully. Well it was the truth, but he wouldn't tell Sidney that Sophie was his sister. "Sophie is totally in love with Stu. I would never cheat on you."
Sidney scoffs. "Why was she staying at yours then."
"Stu stays over at mine on Wednesday nights, you know that. He asked my dad if Sophie could stay over as well. He didn't want her to be alone since you were at Tatum's."
Sidney didn't say anything. Billy goes to comfort her, but Sidney backs away.
"You don't think it was me that attacked your sister?"
"No. The killer called me last night.bsaying something the police have the wrong man, that I'll be seeing him soon."
"See, it wasn't me or Stu. We were in the cell all night." Billy holds his hands up showing him with ink fingers.
"I know..."
"Why won't you let me hold you? You always push me away. I want to be the best boyfriend you've ever had and I can't do that if you don't let me in."
"That's not true..."
"What is it then? Is there somebody else?" Billy asks.
"No..." Sidney lies.
"Is it the sex thing? Am I too pushy?"
"No, it's me, Billy. I need time. I'm still adjusting to my mom."
"It's been a year since she died..."
"Tomorrow...one year tomorrow." She corrects him.
"When are you going to let that go, Sid? Stu was there for Sophie and they are stronger than ever... When my mom left my dad...I just accepted it. She's not coming back."
Sidney looks at Billy sharply. "Your parents split up. It's not the same thing. You're mom left town, she's not in some coffin somewhere." She sobs. Sidney starts to walk away but turns to face Billy angryly. "I'm glad your coping so well with life. But some of us arnt perfect. Some of us are trying to hold on."
Sidney runs down the hallway heading to the girls toilets. She opens the door. The room is spacious, with stalls lined up against the wall facing the sinks.
GIRL 1 - I can't believe she was attacked. Sophie doesn't deserve this shit.
GIRL 2 - I think she lied about it.
GIRL 1 - NO. I can't see Sophie lying something about this....if you get to know her you would change your views of the girl. She's sweet and caring. But what about, Sidney?"
GIRL 2 - that girl has got some serious issues.
Sidney listens intently.
A toilet flushes. She quickly hides in a stall avoiding both girls. They step out of their separate stalls and looks in the mirror above the sink.
GIRL 1 - Fine, I will get to know her. Sophie just creeps me out with the way she talks about horror movies, plus I hate the way she dresses.
GIRL 2 - But she pulls the both look off...so back to Sidney.
GIRL 1 - What if she did it? What if she killed Casey and Steve?
GIRL 2 - And why would she do that?
GIRL 1 - MAYBE Steve was going to tell Casey that they have been hooking up, and she kills them in a fit of rage. I won't be surprised if Tatum isn't behind this.
GIRL 2- And why would Tatum be behind it?
GIRL 1 - Because she has the hits for Stu. Tatum has been trying to split Sophie and Stu up since they first got together. Get rid of Sophie and Stu will be vunable and who's there to comfort Stu...Tatum. Sidney's been helping, it's totally obvious. She's a slut just like her mother.
Sidney starts crying as she listens to the girls talk.
GIRL 2 - Your evil.
GIRL 1 - It's common knowledge. Her mother was a trollop.
GIRL 2- Cut her some slack. She watched her mother get butchered.
GIRL 1 - And it fucked her up. Think about it. Her mother's death leaves her distraught and hostile at a cruel and inhuman world, she's disillusioned. Completely suicidal. And one day she snaps. She wants to kill herself but realises teenage suicide is out this year. And homicide is a much healthier therapeutic expression.
GIRL 2 - Where do you get this shit?
Girl 1 - Ricky Lake.
Sidney hears the two girls leave the room. She moves out if the toilet stall and walks towards the sink. She catches her reflection in the mirror.
"Pathetic." She whispers to herself.
"Sidney" a soft whisper calls her name.
Sidney spins around. What the... she checks out he room. The doors to the toilets are all closed. She bends down and scans beneath them, looking for feet. No one. Nothing. She turns back to the mirror.
"Sidney...." another whisper of her name.
"I...is someone there?" She calls.
A long silence.band then :
"It's me Sidney."
"Paul?his that you?"
The stall door opens as a ghost face figure comes charging at her with a knife. She tries to run, but she slips on the wet floor. The knife cuts her arm, but with adrenaline she kicks the figure in the face, sending him back into the stall. The stall door opens and the figure trips over the toilet. She bolts forward and exits the girls toilets, her arm with a huge cut and blood spills onto the hallway floor.