But amid the excited days, a serious conversation loomed. Sherlin had to face her brother, Steven, and his staunch disapproval of her relationship with Arhaan.

"I know, Arhaan," she admitted. "But there's something we need to talk about."

Arhaan's concern was palpable through the screen. "What's wrong, Sherlin?"

"I told Steven about us," she confessed. "He's not happy, and he's worried about us getting married so soon, especially with our religious differences."

Sherlin's own stance on religion was unconventional. She had chosen not to follow any particular faith, believing in the equality of all religions and questioning the concepts she found perplexing. Maybe you can blame science for it.

Arhaan's response was thoughtful. "I understand his concerns, but our love is real, Sherlin. Love transcends boundaries (division or separation that keeps us apart), and I promise to cherish and protect you."

Sherlin couldn't help but feel reassured by his words. "Arhaan, you make me believe that love is not just another word."

The following evening, after Sherlin had revealed her relationship with Arhaan to her brother Steven, a virtual conversation took place that would test the limitations of their beliefs.
Steven's reservations about interfaith marriages, especially those involving Muslims, seemed largely rooted in a lack of understanding of other religions. As a devout Christian, he acknowledged that his limited knowledge of Islam and other faiths had contributed to biases and misconceptions. His concerns were less about opposing Sherlin's happiness and more about protecting her from potential challenges arising from their differing beliefs.

His disapproval was evident from the moment the video call connected. His stern expression and folded arms left no doubt that he was ready to argue. "Sherlin, I can't believe you've gotten yourself into this," he began, his voice tight with anger.

Sherlin sighed, feeling the weight of her brother's disapproval. "Steven, please try to understand. Arhaan and I love each other."

Steven's response was swift and unforgiving. "Love is one thing, but marrying someone of a different faith, especially someone from a Muslim background, is another matter entirely. My beliefs are important, Sherlin. They define who I am."

Sherlin contemplated Steven's concerns, knowing that her brother's faith was deeply important to him. Taking a deep breath, she decided to be honest.

"Steven," she began, "I appreciate your love and care for me, and I understand your concerns about interfaith marriages. But I want to be open with you about something. I don't follow Christianity or any other religion and I assume you might have guessed it from the way I always made excuses for the Sunday sermons. In fact, I consider myself an atheist (a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods).."

Steven was taken aback, his brows furrowing in surprise. Sherlin continued, "Arhaan and I come from different religious backgrounds; I agree, but we share a deep connection and love for each other. That's what truly matters to me. I believe that our relationship is built on respect, love, and understanding, regardless of our individual beliefs."

She reached out and placed a reassuring hand on Steven's shoulder. "I hope you can see that what's most important here is our happiness and the love we share. I'm asking for your support, not in terms of religious beliefs, but in celebrating the love between Arhaan and me."

Arhaan, who had been listening quietly, finally spoke up. "I understand your concerns, Steven. I respect your beliefs, and I want to assure you that I will never stand in the way of Sherlin's faith."