Part 15

J

On the morning of our date, I answered the front door at Jisoo and Bobby's wearing the black dress. I thought maybe it would be Lisa, surprising me with an early pick-up. So I fluffed up my hair and my boobs before opening the door. I think it's safe to say that the florist's delivery guy would have preferred to put his tip inside of me, rather than take the three dollars I gave him.

Lisa had sent me two dozen lavender colored roses. Not yellow for friendship. Lavender purple. For me. I don't know how she knew it was what I liked. Other than the fact that I was always buying that kind of roses at the flower market. The note card said: From the hardest-working guy you know. Still thinking about you. See you tonight.

I felt like a prima ballerina. Except that I could barely move my legs in that dress.

At almost six-thirty, I was standing in front of the mirror in Bobby and Jisoo's dining area, trying to confirm that there would be no nipple slips as I emerged from the car or bent down to pick something up. I heard the front door open, assuming it was Bobby or Jisoo, and caught my breath when I saw Lisa's reflection behind mine. She was about ten feet away, watching me. We locked eyes in the mirror.

Every debilitating, dehumanizing second that it took to get me into this dress was completely worth it just to see that look on Lisa's face. At first she may not have realized it was me. But when she did, it was like the sight of me knocked the wind out of her. I had never felt so attractive in my life as I did in this moment. I turned to face her, fingers gripping the buffet table behind me.

"Shit," she said under her breath, taking me in as she stood where she was.

My own eyes were so fixed on hers, watching them scan me down and up again, that it took a minute for me to notice just how hot she looked in her jeans and blazer. So not like Jerry Seinfeld. I very rarely saw Lisa in a blazer. I have a thing for blazers. I was so used to seeing her shirtless around the house, but somehow she looked even sexier to me like this. I definitely wanted Business Lisa to give me the business.

"Hi," she said, finally approaching me.

"Hi."

"You look..." She bit her lip and shook her head. "You're stunning."

"Thank you."

She leaned in to kiss me on my cheekbone, her hands gently touching my waist. Before pulling away, she pressed her lips against my neck, just below my earlobe. She smelled different. She was probably wearing the cologne that she reserved for dates. It was intoxicating. I inhaled deeply and swayed a little. I was already lightheaded due to minimal food intake, but there was a high probability that her amped-up attractiveness was going to make me fall over at some point. For one second I completely understood how jealous she felt about Kai, because I felt jealous of all the faceless women she'd worn that cologne for before me, all those necks she'd pressed her lips against. But she was all mine for now, and I knew it.

"Not complaining, but you're a tad over-dressed and over-exposed for this event," she muttered, staring down at my cleavage.

I held my finger up in front of her face. "No I'm not." I picked up the thin white blouse that was resting on the buffet table under the mirror. I put it on and did up a few buttons, tying the bottom of the blouse into a loose knot just above my waist. "See? Not too over-dressed, not too over-exposed."

"Wow," she said, perhaps a little disappointed that she could no longer see my boobs. "It's like a fashion magic act. Now you see them, now you don't." She smiled. "You're perfect. You ready to go?"

"Yeah. How was your day?" I picked up my purse and she gestured for me to walk towards the front door, ahead of her.

"Interesting. Attended some interesting talks, met some interesting people. Thought about what you looked like in a towel. I think I've decided to go with a Santa Monica-based venture capitalist for my next project. How about you? Did you work today?"