Sophie looked at the counselor stunned, "Are you crazy, you can't take him to Exil in this condition!"

"Sophie, don't," Keefe said sternly. These days, especially with Alina, the council tried to punish Sophie for whatever scheme the Black Swan was up to. The Black Swan had agreed to try to have other people deal with the counselors so Sophie couldn't get caught in the crossfire, if she got put into Exile they would likely put a restrictor on her and they didn't know what would happen with her new powers.

Alina glared at Sophie, "He can't be trusted not to return to his mother, nobody knows where his loyalties lie. Plus, a night in jail might make him more cooperative to tell the truth." Keefe scoffed then winced at the effort of the action.

"He's hurt, Elwin needs to treat him!" Fitz argued.

She shook her head, "I can't afford for him to be a flight risk. He might escape while in Elwin's care. He'll just have to take some tonics to carry him through."

"It's okay guys," Keefe said trying to sound convincing. "Just get Sophie out of here!" He wanted to stand up and tuck Sophie behind him to make sure Alina never set eyes on her again.

Sophie looked at Keefe, studying him. Keefe knew that look, that look made him nervous.

"I'll go instead," she said, turning to stare at the counselor. Keefe's head whipped in her direction, whatever cool act he had been putting on for the counselor had been momentarily shattered. His eyes bored into the side of her head, begging for her to look at him as he adjusted to keeping a straight face but she kept her eyes on Alina.

"No," Keefe said firmly. She could tell he was trying not to show how much pain he was in but he couldn't stop the swaying when he stood, chains rattling. "They think I'm lying. This is my punishment, you can't let them take you."

Alina laughed, "I know you think you're always the most important person in the room Moonlark," she mocked. "But we don't care about your lies, only his. His mother raised him and he has been under her influence this whole time, we can't trust him not to return to her with what he knows."

Sophie stood tall, almost shielding Keefe with her stance. "You said you wanted to make sure he wasn't a flight risk, otherwise you'd let him wait out his sentence in the hospital. I'll be your insurance. He won't leave if he knows you have me as a captive, or shall we say consequence."

"No-" Keefe started, voice getting panicked but was cut off as he started to cough.  He was straining against the restraints, trying to reach her and stop what was happening.

"I'm afraid you don't get a say in this Sencen," the counselor smiled wickedly. Keefe knew Alina would jump at the chance to put Sophie behind bars, and their relationship hadn't been a well-kept secret. Sophie was right, he couldn't do anything with Sophie locked up. "Fine. Two for the price of one, and don't think about using any of those special powers of yours down there. It's very secure, not to mention the other unsavory characters you might meet."

Keefe was desperate now, rubbing his wrists raw trying to break the cuffs but Fitz placed a hand on his shoulder and Keefe looked at him, wild to find a way to change the situation. "Please, you can't let her do this," he begged Fitz.

"Make sure he gets the best care from Elwin," Sophie looked at Fitz as she held her hands out to be cuffed by the counselor. Fitz nodded to her grimly.

"No!" He sounded desperate but couldn't get to her. "Sophie, you can't do this, I won't let you take the fall for me!"

"You haven't done anything wrong Keefe, I know the truth and you do too. I won't let you die because Alina is too stupid to see that your mother never got you on her side."