Chapter 9: Revelations of the Heart: Skylar and Koshi's Emotions

Status: Unedited

Published: September 9, 2023

"Sorry, man, I can't cover your shift on Monday. It's Koko's birthday," Hiroto explained as he walked away to serve the tables.

Skylar sighed at the counter, realizing her only option was to approach her boss and politely request a day off, even if it meant a late paycheck or no paycheck at all.

With a determined stride, she made her way to his office, her heart pounding as she knocked on the door.

"State your name and purpose," the man behind the door said.

Gathering her courage, Skylar replied, "Skylar Reynolds, Sir. I'd like to discuss something."

The door swung open, and Skylar stepped inside. Her boss greeted her warmly, dispersing the lingering smoke and letting in natural light.

Taking a seat in front of his desk, Skylar took a sip from her drink and exhaled a puff of smoke.

"So, what's on your mind, Skylar?" he asked, switching from a stern demeanor to a more paternal one.

Skylar hesitated briefly, then said, "I'd like to request a day off on Monday."

Carlos raised an eyebrow. "Is that all?"

Skylar nodded earnestly. "Yes, Sir. You can deduct it from my paycheck if needed. But please, I really need a break on Monday. Please, please, please," she implored, closing her eyes and clasping her hands together.

Carlos chuckled, the smoke from his pipe momentarily causing him to choke.

"Of course, Skylar," he said, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

Skylar's face lit up with hope. "Really?"

Carlos leaned back in his chair, a sly grin forming. "If!"

Skylar couldn't help but roll her eyes internally. There was always an "if" with Carlos.

She cleared her throat, prepared for whatever condition he was about to set. "Yes, Sir, anything," she replied with a hopeful smile.

Carlos took another puff from his pipe and smirked. "Tell me the reason why."

Skylar coughed, the unexpected request catching her off guard. "What?!"

Carlos grinned knowingly, clearly enjoying the playful exchange.

"Come on, Skylar, I know you're going to a volleyball match," he remarked.

Skylar rolled her eyes, nonchalantly propping her feet on the chair across from her while taking another puff from her vape. "So what?"

Carlos fixed her with an all-knowing gaze. "A men's volleyball match."

Skylar felt herself blush but tried to play it cool. "And so?" she repeated, while Carlos settled back into his chair and offered her a glass of vodka.

"You like one of the players, don't you?" he smiled. Skylar politely pushed away the glass he offered. "Of course, I do. I like my friends. What kind of idiot dislikes their friends?" she retorted with a hint of sarcasm, a mischievous smile on her lips.

Carlos shook his head, persisting with his line of inquiry. "Actually, I meant something else. You're romantically interested in this guy," he clarified.

Skylar blinked several times, caught off guard. "What? No, I'm not," she denied, though her blush betrayed her true feelings.

Skylar leaned back in her chair, her preference for wine over vodka clear.