Chapter 7: Late-Night Chat and Tokyo Plans

Status: Unedited

Published: September 9, 2023

"I had no idea you knew sign language," Koshi said with a small chuckle.

Skylar nodded gracefully, a subtle smile gracing her lips. "Back in elementary school, I had a deaf friend who taught me, my pals, and my cousins ASL. It made him feel more included, less like an outsider," she shared with a warm smile.

Koshi found solace in this shared moment.

Behind the ornate fountain, Hinata, Tanaka, Nishinoya, Daichi, and Asahi discreetly documented Koshi and Skylar's interactions and conversations, gathering insights for future reference.

"Alright, these notes will come in handy when we brief Coach Ukai," Hinata whispered, with Tanaka letting out a muffled laugh, being careful not to disturb Koshi and Skylar.

Asahi, however, couldn't shake his unease. "Isn't this kind of... like stalking?" he questioned warily. Daichi sighed, maintaining his composure.

"Our task is to shadow them while they do Coach's clandestine tasks. Plus, free ramen is on the line," Daichi added, his enthusiasm for the reward shining through.

Asahi bit his lip anxiously, torn between concern for their questionable actions and his teammates' casual attitude, who were unwavering in their pursuit of the tempting reward.

"... You got busted slacking in class?" Skylar asked in surprise.

Koshi hid his face in his hands in embarrassment. "I don't know how, but I woke up in class with my teacher's glare, bombarding me with questions..." he recounted his classroom ordeal.

Skylar chuckled softly, her laughter as light as a breeze rustling leaves. "And did you ace all of them?" she teased.

Koshi's confidence resurfaced. "You bet. I'd crammed my 10th-grade lessons last night, so her questions were a piece of cake," he replied confidently.

Rising from her seat on the fountain, Skylar gracefully moved forward, prompting Koshi to follow suit, bridging the gap between them with two measured steps.

"Koshi?" she called out, her voice infused with tenderness, her long, flowing blonde hair swaying with her graceful motion.

"Yes, Skylar?" Koshi responded almost immediately, showing his unwavering readiness to comply with her every request.

With deliberate grace, Skylar took hold of Koshi's hands and gently wrapped them around her waist, her own arms encircling his neck. They shared an embrace, finding solace in the comforting hug.

"I'll... see you tomorrow then?" Koshi's voice carried a noticeable undertone of melancholy.

Skylar responded with a soft smile as she slowly pulled away from the hug, her rollerblades guiding her in a fluid circle around Koshi, coaxing a cheerful giggle from him.

"That's better. Let's not part on a sad note. I'm not going anywhere except to work and back home. But rest assured, I'll make sure to accompany you to school before heading to work," she assured him, her tone imbued with warmth. Then, in an unexpected twist, she hopped onto his back, and without missing a beat, Koshi offered her support by holding onto her legs.

Koshi smiled warmly and offered an apology, "Sorry..."

Skylar questioned, "For what?"

Koshi's uncertainty showed as he replied, "Uh... I don't know. I just felt like saying it." Skylar's laughter rang out melodiously.