Chapter 6: Rescue on the Freeway

Status: Unedited

Published: September 9, 2023

Koshi sat comfortably in his seat, though his mind seemed distant. It was unusual to see Koshi Sugawara lose focus during discussions, given his reputation for being attentive.

"... so, class, can someone remind us what seismology is?" The homeroom teacher walked around gracefully, waiting to see who would respond.

In unison, the class answered with a hint of boredom, "The study of earthquakes and seismic waves."

The teacher playfully tapped Koshi's shoulder with her paper slapstick, drawing his attention back to the present. He looked up, ready to engage.

"Sugawara, stand up," she instructed, and Koshi rose smoothly. The teacher paced thoughtfully in front of him, a question clearly in her mind.

"It's about measuring the damage caused by an earthquake," she explained. Koshi's lips curled into a confident smile as he responded, "Intensity, Ma'am."

The teacher nodded approvingly, "Correct." Just as Koshi was about to sit down, she lightly tapped his head, causing him to jolt slightly and blush with embarrassment. The class stifled their chuckles.

"Not yet, I have more questions for you," she said with a hint of mischief, making Koshi feel a shiver of anticipation at her serious tone.

"Sure thing, Ma'am," he replied, a touch of nervousness in his voice.

The teacher smirked as she fired off more questions.

"What do we call people who study seismology?"

"Seismologists, Ma'am!"

"And what does VEI stand for?"

"Volcanic Explosivity Index, Ma'am!"

With a flourish, she pointed her slapstick toward Koshi's face, causing him to return to his seat, almost stumbling to the floor.

"Oops, wrong," she teased.

The rest of the students exchanged confused glances, as they checked their notes and confirmed Koshi's answers.

One student dared to speak up, saying, "Sorry, Ma'am?"

The teacher's attention turned to the student who had risen, notebook in hand. "Yes, Michimiya?" she inquired.

"Sorry to contradict you, Ma'am, but... Suga's answer is correct," Michimiya stated. The teacher appeared baffled.

"No, he said 'explosivity,' and in the book, it says 'explositivity'," she pointed out.

Koshi looked puzzled. "But, Ma'am, when you had us write in our notes, that's exactly what you wrote on the board," he explained, displaying his notebook as evidence.

The teacher quickly realized her mistake and considered Koshi's final answer a bonus.

"All I ask is for you to pay attention during class, okay Sugawara? It's not like you to zone out like that," she said, patting his shoulder. Koshi nodded.

"Yes, Ma'am. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again," he replied with a soft smile as the teacher left for her next class.

Daichi and Asahi approached him in the hallway.

"Are you alright, Suga?" asked the team captain. Koshi offered a reassuring smile.

"Yes, I'm fine. Why do you ask?" the vice-captain inquired.

Asahi frowned. "Then why did your teacher speak with you after class?" he wondered, with Daichi nodding in agreement.

Koshi's once-happy expression deflated into one of disappointment in himself.