The Battle for Wartwood (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"Don't worry, Commander, we can handle a few hummuses." Beatrix boasted as the rest of the Resistance fled toward the town.

Sasha allowed herself to laugh a little at Beatrix's confidence. "I'm sure you can. Just try not to die on me, okay?"

"No promises." Beatrix chuckled, twirling her battle axes as she and the toad army prepared for the oncoming onslaught. Sasha took one last look at the group before turning and running to meet up with everyone else.

"Ah good, you're here." Grime said as Sasha approached the remaining army. "We were just about to start setting up a defensive perimeter."

"Good thinking." The blonde replied, surveying the defenses that had been already established prior to the battle. "Let's hurry and get that done, there's no telling how long we have until..."

Grime looked up in confusion as Sasha trailed off. "What is it?"

The toad turned to see Sasha staring up at the skies above Wartwood. He followed her gaze only to see three airplanes flying far too close to the ground for a bombing run. "No...they can't be serious..." She whispered to no one in particular.

"What?! What's going on?!" Grime asked incredulously. However, before Sasha could even open her mouth to answer him, the hangar doors of the planes opened and American soldiers began to fly out in droves.

"Fucking hell!" Sasha shouted, finally snapping out of her trance. She turned to the rest of the resistance. "Paratroopers incoming, prepare to engage!"

"Paratroopers?!" Loggle asked in disbelief.

"What are those?!" Toadie said as he fumbled with his sword.

"They're soldiers that fall from the sky with parachutes!" Sasha yelled over her shoulder while she unsheathed her dual heron blades. Her shoulder still stung slightly from the bullet wound she took in Newtopia, but there was no time to complain about it now. "Everyone, grab a shield and try not to get shot!"

The Amphibian Army followed her orders without question, equipping their shields and forming a defensive line right as the first wave of soldiers touched down.

No one moved as the soldiers aimed their weapons at the amphibians. A tiny, minuscule voice in the back of Sasha's mind thought that this could be her chance to talk things out. Maybe she could use her status as a human to bargain for a peace treaty.

However, that hope went flying out the window when one of the opposing generals pointed at the resistance with a look of fury. "OPEN FIRE!!!"

All hell broke loose as bullets bombarded their line of shields. Despite the chaos surrounding her, Sasha kept her mind calm while she hid behind Grime. "We need to fall back!"

Grime grunted as he struggled to keep his shield steady. "Already? But my sister, Tritonio, and Wally are still out there fighting!"

"They can handle themselves!" Sasha countered, using one of her swords to block an incoming bullet that managed to slip through the cracks. "We can't stay here, Grime! They'll surround us if we don't get out of here right now!"

"Fine, but promise me we'll come back for them." Grime relented.

Sasha nodded. "No soldier left behind."

The Commander of the Resistance stood up as soon as there was a lull in the gunfire. "Everyone, get to the Plantar's house! Hurry!"

The line of shields broke as every amphibian made a mad dash for the underground base. The human soldiers advanced towards them, firing on the retreating army while they gave chase.