A Hostile Takeover

Start from the beginning

The group began to make their way toward the building but before they could enter, the doors slammed open and a rather chubby toad walked out.

"Ah, Commander! It's so good to see you again!" The toad said jovially as he walked forward and aggressively shook Sasha's hand.

Sasha smiled awkwardly. "Hey, Mayor Toadsworth. How are things here in Swamp Shiro? Any problems with the frobots?"

Toadsworth chuckled. "Not since you helped us drive them out a few weeks back." He looked over Sasha's shoulder at the other three members of the resistance. "So what brings you all here on such a fine day like today?"

Grime stepped forward. "We're here to help build up your defenses. The human army is closing in on the mountain pass and this town is the first one they'll come across once they pass through."

"Aye, this town's gotta be in tip-top shape before they get here." Stumpy added.

Toadsworth nodded. "I see. Well then, let me introduce you to the leader of our local militia." The toad snapped his fingers. "Frobert, get out here will yah!"

The doors of the town hall slammed open once again, a tall green frog in armor hurrying to Mayor Toadworth's side. The frog saw Sasha and immediately went to salute her. "C-Commander Sasha, welcome. I'm Frobert Moondrop."

Sasha placed her hand on his shoulder. "At ease, soldier."

Frobert looked at the blonde in surprise before reverting to a more relaxed posture. "Yes ma'am."

Sasha rolled her eyes and turned to Toadsworth. "We'll take it from here, mayor. You go do...whatever it is you do."

Toadsworth tilted his head down in acknowledgment before stepping back inside. Sasha looked back at Frobert. "Walk us through your defenses."

Frobert nodded. "Of course. Follow me, I'll lead you to our barracks."

"Great." Sasha replied.

Sasha, Grime, Tritonio, and Stumpy each fell into step behind Frobert as they walked toward Swamp Shiro's outer wall.

Frobert looked over his shoulder at Sasha as the five of them approached. "I have to ask, why are you helping us exactly? You're a human, shouldn't you be supporting the invaders?"

Sasha froze in place, a look of shock plastered onto her face. "Absolutely not! Why would you even think that?!"

Frobert shrugged. "I'm just confused as to why you would go up against your own kind."

Sasha stepped toward the frog, pulling out a piece of paper from her pocket and handing it to him. "Have you seen the reports? They're rounding up Amphibians and doing experiments on them. I mean, that's even worse than what Andrias was doing! As far as I'm concerned, that's more than enough of a reason to go against my own kind!"

Frobert eyed the paper carefully. "So essentially you're saying that you're the only 'good' human."

"What? No!" Sasha exclaimed. "There's tons of good humans out there! Heck, most of those soldiers are probably good people at heart. They just have bad generals giving them shitty orders."

"Huh..." Frobert said, handing the paper back. "Well, in any case, I'm glad you're with us."

Sasha breathed a sigh of relief. "Yeah, me too."

With that settled, the group continued walking and soon arrived at the barracks, or rather, three small shacks pressed up against the wall with a training area set off to the side.

Sasha exchanged glances with Grime, Tritonio, and Stumpy. "Um...is this it?"

"Looks pretty bare bones if you ask me." Tritonio said, making no attempt to disguise his discontent at the meager buildings in front of him.