38 - Cliff and Izzy Commiserate

Dressed in business attire, Cliff lay on his bed, flat on his back, staring at the ceiling, and meditating about the pointlessness of it all. He and Izzy had a meeting in a few hours with the public works director of Allentown, Pennsylvania about the municipality's trash contract renewal. The meeting was the kickoff of their attempted secret coup to wrestle the family business away from their mother and father.

If they were successful in Allentown, Cliff speculated all the rest of the contracts would fall like dominoes. Allentown was the key.

Most of his friends were married by now or in committed relationships. They had children, some of whom were approaching their teens. During his twenties, Cliff never gave thought to family or settling down. He had enjoyed life as a single bachelor. Living in his suite at home and working in the family business had dulled his senses, kept him in a state of suspended animation.

Turning thirty had been a wakeup call, also Izzy's graduation from university. He  now wanted to share his good fortune with someone and start a family of his own.

In the few dates he had with Hannah, she had affected him in ways he still couldn't wrap his mind around. They hadn't been intimate, they never even kissed, yet no woman had penetrated his heart and soul as deeply as she.

And now she was gone.

The pain he felt over losing her made him want to give up on his plans. What would be the point other than punishing his parents for driving her away? Was that a good enough reason?

"Knock, knock." Izzy stuck her head into his room from around the door.

"Come in."

Cliff continued to lay there deep in thought.

She approached. "Scoot over."

When he did, she lay at his side, both fixing their gazes on the ceiling, lost in thought.

"Are you ready for this?" she asked.

Cliff knew she was referring to the meeting. "I suppose so."

"Don't sound so enthusiastic."

He didn't respond.

Izzy held up her hands, inspecting her nail polish. "I'm a little apprehensive over what we're about to do. Scared even. How about you?"

"Big moves always carry risk."

They both laid there silently until Izzy spoke. "It's been almost two weeks. Have you tried contacting her again?"

"Hannah made it clear we were over. She told me she wouldn't reconsider."

"And you're just going to give up?"

"I won't beg."

"Did you ever consider that maybe she's as miserable as you are? She could've changed her mind after realizing she made a mistake."

Cliff turned his head to look at his sister. "If Aaron's mother treated you the way our mother treated Hannah, would you still be with him?"

She shot him a wicked smile. "Oh my, that's where Hannah and I are different. Not only would I not allow his mother to come between us, but I would cajole him into marrying me right away just to spite her."

He chuckled. "You're such a wild child. I could definitely see you doing that."

"Damn straight!"

"What can I do to try to reconnect with her? I know it would not be cool to visit the sports bar."

"I agree. You don't want to corner her. Text her something simple. Tell her you were thinking about her and wondering how her job search was going. Her response will determine your next move."

"If she responds."

Izzy sighed. "If she doesn't, you'll know for sure you're out of moves. I hope she replies. You've always been so strong. It hurts me to see you like this."

Cliff thought the time was right to tell his sister something he had been thinking over. "Izzy, I've got to get away from this toxic house. I'm moving out."

She sat up on his bed wide eyed. "You can't leave me here with them."

"I won't. I would never do that to you, especially with what's about to go down. I want you to come with me. You can live under my roof until you and Aaron get hitched. I'll hunt for a simple place to buy or rent. It won't have a pool."

"A pool doesn't matter, and I'll pay half the rent."

"That's not necessary."

"I'll have to do something to contribute."

"We'll figure that out once I find a place."

She got off the bed, paced to the dresser mirror, and inspected herself. Looking at Cliff through the mirror, she said, "Time to put your game face on. We need to go if we're going to make it to the meeting on time."

Do we really want Cliff to give up on Hannah?