2 - Cliff's Frustration

Cliff tore down the interstate exercising all six-hundred-fifty-five of the Corvette's horses. Gripping the steering wheel, he worked the paddle shifter while accelerating. Within seconds, he had exceeded a hundred miles per hour and eased up.

No annoying squeaks from the dashboard, but the incident at the dealership left him frustrated. He needed to calm down, knowing how he shouldn't be driving in such an emotional state.

The woman had irritated him to such an extent he couldn't think about anything else. How dare she accuse him of wanting sexual favors when all he wanted was to do a good deed and help her. He just wanted to be charitable. Why would she think he was some sort of predator trying to take advantage of her misfortune? Had he given off that vibe? Maybe she had bad experiences with other guys and had turned into a man hater, but he had given her no cause to take it out on him. He hadn't deserved her wrath or to be called an asshole.

Hannah Blessing. Right. With an attitude like hers she would hardly be a blessing to any boyfriend or husband. The thought occurred to him she might indeed be married. If that were the case, why hadn't she brought her husband along when she bought the car. Nope. He doubted she had a man in her life. Then again, why should he care? He would never see her again or have to endure another of her irrational tirades.

"Whoa!" While his thoughts drifted, he had picked up a lot more speed. Removing his foot from the accelerator, he downshifted and let the car coast back to seventy. He should stay focused on his driving. With such a powerful car, he could easily lose control and kill himself.

Cliff pulled into the circular driveway of his family's estate and parked. The car sat so low to the ground it took some effort for him to slide from the driver's seat, unfold himself, and stand. The door closed with a satisfying, solid sounding clunk. He took a moment to admire the coupe's sleek body before entering the house.

"You're late," his mother scolded as he entered the dining room. The family had already started eating without him.

His sister, Izzy, gave him a sideways glance. "Cliffy is always late. He was even late to my university graduation ceremony."

Cliff took a seat at the table. "Two minutes late is not late." To his mother he said, "Sorry, I got delayed at the dealership."

She glared at him with an accusatory expression.

He stared back. "What's the problem?"

"I'm not concerned about your tardiness, Cliff. I want to know why you haven't yet asked Kayla to the country club's summer social. You had the perfect opportunity to do so at the party after her and Elizabeth's graduation ceremony. I saw you speaking with her."

Izzy banged the butt end of her butter knife against the tabletop. "Mother, you know I hate being called Elizabeth. It sounds so snobbish."

Cliff was tired of defending himself about whom he would ask to the social. "I was just congratulating Kayla and wishing her well. I don't want to take her to the social. As a matter of fact, I don't even want to attend the social this year."

Cliff's mother persisted. "You may never get another chance to marry into such a prominent family. I have it on good authority Kayla's father will soon launch an exploratory committee. He intends to run for president."

His father chimed in, "Son, you're smart enough to realize the advantage of having political clout. Even if the senator doesn't run for president, he's a powerful national politician."

Cliff sipped some water. He looked between his father and mother. "Let me get this straight. You would have me marry for advantage rather than marry for love?"

His mother set down her fork. "You're thirty years old, Cliff, so grow up. You know how the world works. Time for you to stop being such a playboy and start a family. Kayla is a pretty woman. In time, you'll learn to love her. Just like your father and I learned to love each other."

In his defense, Cliff said, "It takes two, you know. Kayla might think I'm an ogre."

"That's not what she tells me," Izzy blurted. She wore a devilish grin.

He poked her in the side and leaned in to speak so only she could hear. "Now that you've earned your degree, they'll soon be pressuring you to marry too."

That made her go quiet.

Using his fork, he reached across and stabbed a tater tot from her plate.

"Hey, don't steal my food," she protested. "That will cost you."

He grinned. "Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah, now I get to drive your new car."

Cliff scoffed. "In your dreams, kiddo."

Holding up her wine glass as if to prove a point, Izzy said, "I'm twenty-two, a university graduate, and no longer a kiddo."

"You'll always be a kiddo to me."

Cliff's father slapped his hand against the tabletop to get their attention. "For the love of God, will the two of you get serious for once?"

"Oh, I'm serious," Izzy said. She giggled. "I'm seriously going to keep nagging Cliffy until he lets me drive his new car."

Their father wouldn't be deterred. "Cliff, someday the family business will all be yours. You need to take responsibility—"

"—All his?" Izzy interrupted. "Am I not also your adult daughter? Don't you regard me as an asset with my new degree in finance?"

"I didn't mean it that way. Of course, you'll be taken care of."

"Taken care of," Izzy parroted. "What does that mean? You make it sound like I'm a helpless female just waiting for a man to sweep me off my feet."

"Shut up, Izzy," their mother snapped. "Be realistic. Cliff is older than you are and more experienced."

"And a man. I'm sure that has nothing to do with it, right?"

Cliff interrupted. "You trusted me to run the family business for the past five years while the two of you are semi-retired. Trust me when I say you need to treat Izzy as an equal to me. I need her help to grow the business."

"You may run the company, but your mother and I still own it," his father said. "We made you corporate president, and we can also unmake you."

Cliff stood. Turning to Izzy, he said, "I'm done here. You want to drive my car? Let's go and grab dinner someplace friendlier."

Izzy pushed her chair away from the table and dropped her cloth napkin on top of her plate. "I'm down with that."

Cliff tossed her the key fob.

Are Mom and Dad pressing Cliff and Izzy with unrealistic expectations or are they trying to be good parents by guiding them toward success?

Photo by the author. Unfortunately, it's not my car.