10 - A King's Breakfast

Although it was morning, the June heat already caused beads of sweat to pop on Cliff's forehead. Or was it his nerves? He checked the time. Ten after nine. Hannah was late. Was she ditching her date with him? If that was the case, he would let her go. He wasn't going to chase after a woman who clearly wanted nothing to do with him. He had given it his best shot.

He sighed, thinking the situation turned out to be a damn shame. Hannah really intrigued him in a way no other woman had. Not only was she hot, but she was also feisty and challenging. He really looked forward to getting to know her. Cliff glanced again at the time. It made him sad how it appeared he wouldn't get the chance.

The server approached and cleared her throat. "Sir, are you sure I can't get you anything while you wait?" The white-haired lady looked to be in her seventies and reminded Cliff of his paternal grandmother.

Despite the umbrella shading the table, it was too hot to drink coffee, so he ordered an iced tea. Cliff figured if Hannah hadn't shown by the time he was done with the beverage, he would leave.

A welcome breeze kicked up, wicking his perspiration. He closed his eyes and savored the sensation. When he opened his eyes, Hannah appeared, swiping wind tossed hair away from the front of her face. "I'm sorry, I'm late. I overslept."

Cliff couldn't keep his lips from transforming into a stupid grin. "No probs. You were worth the wait."

She ignored his attempt at a compliment and took a seat opposite him. The breeze continued to mess with her hair. "I'm so disheveled."

"If you'd rather, we can move inside."

"No, I got this." She pulled a scrunchie from her clutch and pulled her hair into a ponytail. "This is my favorite diner, and I love sitting outside. We can see the apex of the rollercoasters across the tracks in Hershey Park and listen to the riders scream as they plunge over."

Cliff shot a glance at the amusement park's highest structure. "A good view of the kissing tower, too." She looked over at the park. He looked at her. The white shirt she wore highlighted her tan. "Do you sunbathe?"

Hannah laid her arms on the tabletop and inspected them. "One of the perks working nights is I get to lay out during the day."

She kept her arms on the table, Cliff figured, so he could admire them. "How long have you worked at The Striker?"

"I started there as a summer job during college. After I graduated, I had a real job for four years until recently when I got caught up in the post-Covid layoffs. My old boss let me come back until I can find something else."

She held a hand to her mouth. "Oh, gosh, I think I inadvertently told you how old I am."

Cliff had indeed done the math. "If you graduated from college at twenty-two that now makes you twenty-six." He shrugged. "It's only fair I should know your age since you checked my ID and already know I'm thirty."

"Yeah, you're so old."

Cliff winced. "Ouch."

She wore a smirk. "Actually, I think older guys are more mature and stable." Her expression changed to a pout. She paused to take a breath. "Recently, a guy my age ended a relationship with me."

"I take it he was not very mature or stable?"

She looked off into the distance and acted as if she hadn't heard his question. "I thought we were good together."

She obviously still hurt from whatever resulted in the breakup. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No."