Chapter 3: Four-Shadowing

Start from the beginning

    "You won't be ready when she eventually finds out because we don't know when that will be!" Derek snapped. Jewel lowered her head and sighed.

    "I know, I-" She headed back to her room. "I just need time." Derek exhaled out of his nose before going back to his.

    "I know," he said softly to himself. "I miss her too."

The sun peeked over the edge of Octo Canyon, gently warming Monica's face like her mother's morning kiss. Monica opened her eyes, half-expecting to see her mother standing over her. No, she realized, why would she expect to see her mother greeting her in the mornings, like her mother always did, when she was gone? The sound of a Zipcaster coming towards her caught her attention, and Monica stood up to greet Alecs as he landed.

    "How far until the Squidbeak outpost?" she asked.

    "Good morning to you too," mumbled Alecs, pulling his facemask down and revealing his usual frown. "We'll reach it by later today," he answered, pointing in the direction he had just flown in from. "I do believe it's currently occupied but couldn't tell by whom."

    "Can you two keep it down, I'm trying to get my beauty sleep." Monica and Alecs turned to face Kimberly, who was still resting on the hard ground, green eyes cracked open at them. Monica opened her mouth to reprimand her but Alecs was faster.

    "No," he replied grumpily, throwing a nearby branch from a stack of unused firewood at her head. The branch bounced off Kimberly's forehead, and the Octoling girl sat up within seconds, eye twitching irately.

    "YOU SQUIDBRAIN," she swore, standing up with her fists clenched as tight as possible. "You could've killed me!"

    "And we'd lose absolutely nothing of value," Alecs said with his usual serious expression. Kimberly made the motion of rolling up her sleeves (which there was no need for, as Neo Octoling Armor had no sleeves to begin with) and stomped over to the unsmiling Octoling.

    "Okay, 'Crooked Smile,'" she growled, teeth clenched in anger. "Let's see how much value YOUR FACE would lose when MY FIST CONNECTS WITH IT!" Kimberly threw a punch while Alecs skillfully dodged effortlessly. Monica facepalmed.

    "Okay, 'Deranged Fashionista,'" Alecs began pulling up his mask and doing a taunting hand gesture. "Let's see how well you do when a member of the Octoking Gang fights back." He threw a punch that Kimberly barely dodged - and she dodged it rather pathetically as well, almost losing her balance. The two continued throwing punches and missing each other for another ten seconds before Monica, shaking her head, stepped in and grabbed both of them by the left ear, which was a very sensitive spot for genetically modified Octolings. She then walked off towards the direction of the New Squidbeak Splatoon's Canyon outpost, Alecs and Kimberly wincing and quietly going, "Ow, ow, ow!" for a few moments. Monica finally stopped and released their ears, turning to face them.

    "Look," she began. "If we don't bring back something - anything - in eight weeks, I will get executed and you two will get reassimilated, most likely to Skylar Rose's squadron. I'm sure how you remember what happened to Andrew when that happened." Alecs and Kimberly glanced at each other sideways and gulped in fear. "We need to work together to prevent both of those things happening. Is that clear?" Monica's two underlings nodded silently and rapidly. Monica gave them both a brief nod and turned around.

    "Good. Let's go catch a squid."

Sheldon turned to the shop door as Jewel, Autumn, and Derek entered.