Chapter Thirty Four- Curiosity killed the cat

I can't believe Mr Darcy cock blocked me last night. A thought I never expected to have.

I was day dreaming about Wren, for the hundredth time this morning.

I'm driving down to Eugene, with Veda in the passenger seat and Josephine in the back. It appeared that wherever Veda was, Josephine followed, and vice versa. I had called Teddy and Harper and explained that I had intended to bring Jo home, but had been begged not too, by both of our teens. Harper said it was fine, since she didn't have baseball or any homework this weekend, but to bring her back Sunday for dinner.

"So, Moira, is she okay with us crashing hers for the weekend" Veda asked, swiping aimlessly on her phone.

I tapped the steering wheel lightly, and wrinkled my nose slightly "She would be... if I had given her the heads up"

"Millie" Veda said accusingly, looking up from her phone, a rarity.

"It's fine" I promise "I just didn't want to give her time to hide anything"

"Hide what" Veda asked curiously.

Josephine's ears pricked up, and she placed her book down on her lap "My interest is piqued" she announced.

I looked in the rear view to see Josephine looking back at me. She looked so much like Harper today, if she had been a red head she would have been all her Mama. Allie had Dutch braided her hair the afternoon before, and she and Veda looked cute.

"You two are becoming quite the pair aren't you" i muse, looking from Josephine to Veda and back again.

"Give us the tea" Veda asked "Spill"

We were now ten minutes from my Mothers, just enough time to explain to the teens what had transpired with my Mother and Avery. I wasn't going to tell them, but then I realised if Avery was there it would be a little awkward, since Josephine knew her as an aunty. I had left Portland super early, and I told everyone it was so that we could spend more time with my Mother, but the truth was, that I wanted to catch her out, red handed. My Mother wouldn't be forward about telling me about a new relationship, but if I caught Avery at the house there was no way she could explain it without being honest. I was helping her rip off the band aid, but also I was just being a nosey daughter who was intrigued to poke around in her Mothers business.

Wren had left early too, she was having her first back to college training day with the team. She was a week later than the rest and would have to play catch up for a couple weeks. She would though, my babe was incredible.

"So, Aunty Ave and your Mom might be dating?" Josephine questioned.

I nodded, and checked back into the rear view "it seems so"

Veda picked back up her phone and began to type away quickly. "I'm just googling whether lesbianism is hereditary" she said, not looking up from the phone.

I laughed a little and looked to her amused. "Are you concerned" I poked.

"No, but there's clearly something in the water on the west coast. I've never known so many queer people in my life" she returned.

"I think there's totally a gene" Josephine added from the backseat.

Veda turned in her seat, finally looking away from her Google search, to Josephine instead. "You do" she asked her.

Josephine nodded, sure of herself "oh absolutely. But I hope they never discover it"

Veda looked confused "why"

Josephine looked to her "because they will try and eradicate it. I don't know if it's escaped your attention V but the country is going backward. The government, the politicians, the people in charge... ugh..." she says disgusted "it's still a Cess pit of homophobia, sexism, racism, and a bunch of backward folk using religion to justify their hatred"