Chapter Twenty Nine- The Ex's.

Norman seemed to have had a personality transplant since arriving at the guest house. He loved that the house backed onto the woods, and he could watch birds flit about all day whilst he made this weird sound from his throat, the "death rattle" Willa called it.

I think it was perhaps something to do with having much more room to roam, and many more people to fuss and feed him. He only arrived on Tuesday but by Friday, today, he was quite at home. Allie said she had never had a cat before, but she had become quite taken with him, and it was obvious she was feeding him lunch whilst I was at the school, because the last two days I had discovered a little ceramic dish on his mat that magically disappeared and reappeared on its own.

Today was a big day. I was taking Veda to her first day of her new high school. I had hoped some permanent legalities would have been sorted out by now with my guardianship of her, but there had been a hold up. It made me nervous, but my family lawyer was on it, and my temporary petition, was still in place. The hold up seemed to be her grandmother, she had received the notification, and she had been set to sign papers, but then gone to ground. I had been told with her obvious health decline that she wouldn't be an option for Veda anyway, and that this was just stalling the inevitable. Veda needed a safe guardian, and she was currently in a good position here with me. My case was strong. I had her enrolled, her health care covered, and I was financially stable. I couldn't see what could go wrong, but of course it worried me, and it would until she was officially signed off as mine.

"How do I look" she asked, as we shut the front door and walked out onto the porch. She did a little twirl.

I looked her over and nodded "Really good. Like you took your sisters credit card and dropped a thousand dollars on this one outfit"

She looked pleased with herself "Don't hate me Coz you ain't me Snow White. I have one chance to make a good impression. This is the day that everyone makes up their minds on Veda Williams"

She walked over to my car. Her entire outfit was brand new, and she looked like she fell off of some teenager cat walk, with the funky new sneakers, the brand new sleek jeans, the cool jacket with the flicked up collar and the white T. Her hair was immaculately braided, and re styled as she requested. Luckily for me, Allie had been working on her braiding technique, specifically for Vedas hair type, which was thoughtful and sweet. I didn't have to spend a small fortune anymore for every time Veda decided to change up her braids for a fresh style.

"I couldn't possibly be jealous little sister" I inform her "because Snow White as you so love to tease, has a brand new pair of Loui's" I say flicking up my foot and allowing her to drool a little over my heels "and she's feeling herself" I say with a confident smile.

"When do I get some" She asks, pouting.

"Sixteenth birthday little V. I already told you. Now get in the car, we both have a first impression to make with these kids"

We get in and put on our belts, awaiting Willa who rushed out of her house, and then rushed back in again all flustered. Allie met her at the screen door and pulled her in for a kiss before she took off running back to my car, and jumped into the passenger seat. "Sorry. I forgot to kiss my wife for a second there. She would have been cursing me all day long"

"Happy wife happy life" I turn and say, starting the engine.

"And don't forget it when your time comes" Willa replies "she will always be right, and you will always be happier for it"

"I feel like Wren will most certainly be the Allie in this scenario" I think aloud.

Willa and Veda both lean forward and look at me as I start to back up the car "What" I ask, fighting my tight shirt and blazer as I turn awkwardly to see where I'm going. I didn't particularly want to hit and murder Mr Darcy on my first full day of school.