Prologue

After the keyblade war, and with Xehanort's defeat, the worlds were finally safe from darkness. The guardians were finally able to rest and be at peace. With friends finally reunited with those lost from long ago. With those who were hurt finally having the closure they were looking for. Even some unknown truths coming to light sense then. It seemed everything was finally alright again for most of the guardians.

Everything just seemed to move so fast with moving on after the battle. Most mourning those who were lost and others trying to bring back Sora. It almost felt like yesterday when Sora went to save her. Using the power of waking to find her shattered heart to put her back together.

Those final moments with him felt like a fading dream. Reuniting together once more, to finally end the battle. Calling upon their friends to help with the final blow. The two were finally working to reform their weakened bond. Going from world-to-world talking and enjoying the short time they had left. Bringing Chirithy back to reunite with Ventus. Unlocking Namine's heart so she finally can have her own life again.

To finally watch the sunset together, on that same tree that they would always sit at when they were kids. The tree where the three of them used to watch the sunset together. The tree where they planned to build the raft, and where they all came back to reunite for the first time. The tree where the two finally kept a childhood promise and shared two paopu fruits with each other.

"This charm will make sure we won't be separated again." The unspoken promise finally being kept. With Sora's final moments comforting her by squeezing her hand. Saying his final words before, he faded away completely.

"Take care of him." Those words stuck with her. Kairi remembered when Riku told her that he said something similar. He mentioned it was when they closed the door to darkness.

"Take care of her." She knew the meaning behind the words was sincere. Even if a little part of her didn't know if she could keep that promise. So, she went to sleep seeing if there was any way her heart could find Sora. There had to be some clues somewhere in her memory.

She had been asleep for a year finding little to nothing that could help find him. Only finding deep secrets from her past. She was being sent out to find the keyblade. To find out who ripped her away from her world. Xehanort, it was always him. The words he said echoed as if to taunt her.

"You seek clues to Sora's whereabouts by using your memories of him, to search through your own heart... But there's nothing for you to find here. I'm afraid the answers you seek lies in memories that are long gone." Upon waking, she felt as if all she got was memories of the past but was no closer to finding Sora.

In the end again it was up to Riku to save Sora. Kairi couldn't help but feel a longing to join him to help him bring back Sora. To keep the promise, she was left with.

But she knew it wasn't her time. After her year of sleep with no results and only bringing back bad memories, she pushed herself to train with Aqua. Something to keep her mind off the events that happened. To keep her mind off him.

She blamed herself for what happened to Sora, and it didn't help with the nightmares bringing back those memories. 'Maybe if I was stronger then.' 'Maybe if I didn't show up on the islands.' 'Maybe if I reached out more to him.' These thoughts are always in the front of her mind. What if's that would never leave her alone.

It didn't help once the day came when she finished her training.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

It was like it was yesterday when Ven came to her room to see if she was ready. "Kairi! You ready?" Smiling to herself she responded, "Yes I'll just be a second."