Chapter Sixty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"And let you train under General Valen in the meantime?" He leans forward and places a hand on his chest. "Do you want me dead? Does my life mean so little to you?"

A small laugh escapes her. "Don't you train under him?"

"Oh, you and I are very different when it comes to who he devotes his time to. He'll probably train you night and day just so you can become stronger than any of the other Generals, regardless of you being Untitled."

Alia's brows furrow and she spares a glance at her tense mate who sits on the bench with his arms crossed and eyes closed, head against the wall. One of her hands gently massages her tender throat whilst the other stays relaxed on her lap to avoid moving her two broken fingers. Valen's entire body is still, muscles tense and jaw clenched. She moistens her lips with her tongue, gaze lingering on his strong shoulders and arms. Her lower lip stings and she can taste the blood from the open wound.

He won't train me at night.

Warmth builds in her stomach, skin itching to touch his.

Never at night.

"How's your arm?" She distractedly asks Yaro, attention remaining on the General. He looks anything but calm, and it makes her want to rush over to him just so she can ease whatever it is that's making him so tense. Just knowing that she can touch him again has rekindled her primal desire to be near him at all times. The scents on her skin are plentiful, and it's becoming distastefully pungent.

Her claws lengthen. The primal side of her wants to slash her skin to be rid of the scents of others. She wants to be wrapped in Valen's arms just so he can cover her in his scent instead. She wants his mouth on her body, marking every inch of her with his tongue just as he did last night. She wants his touch like it's the only thing keeping her alive, and she wants it now.

The bell rings just as Yaro lifts his forearm, trails of blood streaking his skin. He furrows his brows in thought, unfazed. "It'll heal before the final."

Alia doesn't hear him. Instead, she's off the mat and moving towards her mate. White eyes snap open and follow her every move. His arms uncross as he leans forward, forearms on knees. She wants what was promised to her. She wants her kiss.

Valen's eyes turn hungry, flecks of gold appearing within his gaze. "An hour," he tells his Gamma. "Give me an hour."

Christian's head flies up from the tablet, expression incredulous. But then he sees Alia's determined gaze and Valen's flexing fingers. He quickly looks back at the tablet and clears his throat. "Do as you please."

Valen stands, and it catches the attention of everyone in the training hall. When they see Alia's approaching form, they almost fall out of their seats or drop to their knees at the possibility of her touching the General. Terrified shouts sound through the hall, desperate to prevent Alia from triggering a slaughter.

Almost a dozen Warriors begin to run for the girl, but Gamma's warning snarl makes them freeze, eyes wide. They drop to their knees, head bowed as they quiver an apology to the Titled male. But their expressions remain panicked, tormented as to why he'd allow the female to approach.

If any of them touched Alia, Christian knows it'd be the last thing they ever did. Valen isn't in a sane state of mind, and the Trials and Warrior training are probably the only times he'll ever let another touch or inflict pain on his mate. If Christian or anyone ever tries to keep him from Alia, it'll probably cause a bloodshed worse than touching him ever could.