"Maddie."

I'm startled out of my thoughts by my brother's commanding voice.

"Yes," I answer quietly.

It's as if those words pull down the curtain. Its out. Everything I've spent so much time hiding is out with just one question. He nods, and even though I know he knew, his jaw still clenches, "I want you to promise not to lie anymore. Trust that when you tell us the truth, it's for your own good."

I nod, despite not believing him. No part of that sentence resonates with me. I won't promise that because it's a promise I don't know if I can keep, promising someone takes so much trust that they won't abuse that promise. And I don't have that kind of trust to give. Not when every ounce of it has been discarded by the few people I've given it to. Buried with them, never to surface again. 

"Who hurt you?" He asks.

It's as if he doesn't want to suggest that it was my own mother, our own mother, but he's leaving it open for me to give him as much information as possible.

I swallow the growing lump in my throat, my throat feels dry and when I open my lips they feel parched and stuck together, "Daniel," I manage.

"Only Daniel?"

I can't bring myself to burn any hope they might have in mom being a good person because I remember when I had that hope, and I would have done anything and still would do anything to have that hope still. My eyes are drawn back to Emilio and he holds eye-contact with me, it should be reassuring but instead, it makes me feel worse for barging into their lives with my trouble.

"Madison."

My eyes snap back to Alessandro.

"Was it only Daniel?"

I shake my head hesitantly, "It was a lot of people," I say evasively. For some stupid reason, I thought that would ease their minds but by the way Emilio's jaw clenches and he walks out of the room quickly and way too calmly, I realize it had the adverse effect.

Alessandro still holds his cold gaze, but it's grown dark, almost murderous, but he tries to maintain composure, "Madison, I'm certain you know what I'm asking, don't make me play tag to try to get my answer. Did your mother hurt you?"

I shrink as far into the bed as possible before nodding slightly, he nods back. The room seems to have gotten much more tense with only Alessandro here.

"One last question," He says., "Okay?"

Despite his calm voice, the look in his eyes gives me shivers, the amount of obvious hesitation despite his stoic expression, the anger sitting at the shore of his midnight blue almost eyes, waiting to be washed back into the sea of emotionless expressions.

"Did Daniel ever..." This is the first time I've heard my oldest brother falter, but he quickly regains himself, "Were you ever sexually assaulted in any way by any adult or person in your life?"

My immediate reaction is panic, and I can't help but say "No," In response.

His patience seems to be thinning, I don't even have anyone to change the subject, not that they would, they all seem to do whatever Alessandro says. "Madison, we agreed no more lies."

That's when I know that he already knows, if not just a hunch, and this is a test of my honesty.

But, I've never been good at tests.

Admitting it would bring up too many memories I've been trying so hard to block out, "I know," I say shakily, deciding to hold my ground, I know there' be follow up question had I admitted it.