14 - Prayer

14 - Prayer

[Ken]

"Table 7's order is tom yam with lemongrass, lobster, fried squid with sea bass tom som, while table 12 has fried seafood, fried rice with pineapple, and shrimp tom yam. I'll leave the list here for you, chef."

I nod to Naen, a good employee who came to work here almost a year ago. Naen is very friendly and hard working, so much so that it is amazing that young people today are able to work as long, in such a chaotic place, as she does.

"Phai, prepare the lobster, while Ping, we will take care of the squid and bass. You know how to do as I taught you, right?"

"Yes, chef!" The two respond in unison. Phai goes to the display case and uses a sieve to get the shrimp, while Ping heads to the bucket to pick out the fresh squid.

"Chef, table 9 just ordered an ornate chitala pie with tamarind soup and papaya," Naen blinks imploringly, as if she's afraid I'll pick on her. But what can we do? Numerous customers dine here, and they often come in large groups, families, while we don't have many employees for the Thai part of the menu. Lately it seems that Thai food is to Hong Kong people's liking, and many have started eating spicy food.

"Ken, can I help you?" Father asks.

"Don't worry, Pa. It looks pretty busy over there, too," I point toward the Chinese cooking area, which at the moment looks like a battleground for all the orders coming in nonstop.

I take the banana leaves and shrimp paste and grill them over low heat. Once grilled, I combine Thai chili, cilantro root, and pounded scallions. I put everything to boil in a pot full of water. The ornate chitala is blanched by Ping on both sides. I pour in boiling oil and continue cooking it. Then I slowly scoop out the foam. I season with ginger, sugar, tamarind sauce and fish sauce. I turn down the heat, add the spring onion, cut everything into slices and place them in a ceramic bowl, ready to serve.

The chaotic evening passes quickly, and without my realizing it, 8 p.m. arrives.

"Hey... Today was as heavy as ever, chef," Pai sits on the edge of the steel table as he peels a large guava fruit.

"Tiring? Now the customers are dwindling. You and Ping can start tidying up and go study. You have exams coming up, right?"

"Don't worry, chef. We can review anywhere. Right, Pai?" Ping answers me and turns to his friend, who is resting. "By the way, chef. Aren't you thinking of taking a vacation? We've seen you working every day, nonstop. Aren't you going too far?"

I smile in response. I don't know why I'm still here, still waiting for someone to come back, day after day. Every time I see orders asking for what he used to eat, I find myself raising my head to see if it's him. I was always disappointed and eventually even the tears stopped flowing.

"Chef, one last order before closing the kitchen. Table 1, kanom jin and kao soi gai."

"..."

I snap my head up and turn toward the guest sitting at the table.

P'Don and Dim raise their hands to greet me. After returning to Hong Kong, Dim has gone back to study and comes by often to keep my spirits up.

"Chef, go sit with your friends. We can prepare the last two orders, and then we'll set up the kitchen." Pai takes off my apron, while Ping gets the ingredients to start cooking.

"Thank you..."

Whenever I feel lonely, as if I have no one, I look around and see that there are many people who care about me. Even if they don't say anything, their actions manage to make me smile.