3 - Behind the Mask

Chapter 3 - Behind the Mask

[All]

"Hey, why did you interrupt me when we were at P'Ken's restaurant?" Hin asked as soon as the two were seated in the cab that was taking them to Hong Kong International Airport.

"Don't you think it's a little too strange? Someone who looks exactly like Din appears in the restaurant where Ken works."

"Are you telling me it wasn't by chance?"

"I don't know, so far I just have doubts. It really could be a case. Also, don't forget that only we know where Ken is."

"Are you going to let it go or leave me here to protect P'Ken?"

"Absolutely not! Your safety is the most important thing to me, Hin," Phayu gave him a reproachful look as Hin grimaced.

"Don't worry too much about Ken, Hin. He has never been idle during this year, not even for a day. Rather I'm worried that Ken might kill someone, so..." Phayu raised an eyebrow and looked at his own boyfriend as if he had an hidden agenda.

"Don't tell me you hired someone to have P'Ken checked from the beginning!"

Hin's eyes went wide. He was convinced that someone like Phayu was well capable of doing such a thing. Besides, he was Ken's best friend; surely he would not leave him to his own devices.

"Of course. After everything that happened how could I trust him? Besides, whoever attacked Din and Ken still hasn't been caught."

When they touched on this subject, Hin winced and covered his ears with his hands. His tongue tingled, he was dying to tell his boyfriend everything. If only P'Knot and P'Yu had not threatened him that if he told about their ability they would immediately erase his memory, Hin would have told everything long ago....

....

In the evening, the upscale Tsim Sha Tsui restaurant was crowded, with almost all the tables reserved. Ken was not smiling like his usual self, and his father had gone to check on his son several times, feeling worried about him.

Since he had heard that Hin's parents were preparing the funeral for their son, who was still missing, the chef's mind was no longer with him. His father also loved Hin like a second son. All that time, Ken had respected and adored him more than the mother who had given birth to him.

Since Ken's biological mother was Sawitree, the granddaughter of a royal, ever since Ken was a child he had hardly ever been with her. Even more so when Ken had begun to date Din openly, she had distanced herself from him even more, just for fear of having her own reputation ruined. Not even when Ken had ended up in the hospital for almost a year as a result of serious injuries had the woman set foot in the hospital.

"P'Ken..."

"P'Ken...?"

Someone snapped his figners in front of his face, and Ken came back to his senses.

"Are you all right? You can't seem to concentrate today. And my fried pork is inedible."

The boy pointed to the brass frying pan: unusual smoke rose from it, the smell of burning hovered in the kitchen, and certainly the pork had gone from being fried to burnt.

"Damn!" With a snap, Ken put out the fire and removed the frying pan amid laughter from the regulars, who were watching him from all directions. He picked up a frying pan which he filled with oil, then turned to bow and apologize to the presents.