ᴏɴᴇ ʜᴜɴᴅʀᴇᴅ ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ

𝗥ayne dabbed a tissue to the corner of her eye, careful not to smudge her makeup more than it already was

𝗥ayne dabbed a tissue to the corner of her eye, careful not to smudge her makeup more than it already was. Her heels sunk into the same grass she'd met two months ago. A new collection of debt was warranted as the graveyard ignited memories she wished not to relive.

Francesca's funeral had been beautiful.

The sun sat on a perch in the clouds, peering through semi-transparent, indoctrinated particles to dew covered grass and group of young adults celebrating the life of a wonderful woman. 

Blaine, Maverick, Eden, and Jase sat around her tombstone, sharing tears and memories Rayne wished she and the others had had the time to create with her as they did. She could sense that Blaine and Jase were in control of the conversation, and that Eden was just adding on.

Rayne couldn't blame her. Not one part of her doubted that Eden was dealing with her grief in a different way—a way that allowed Franki's brother and partner the space to grieve in the open.

It took an hour to even get Jase out of the house.

Maverick was the one who'd been able to sneak in and convince him that ignoring this day wasn't going to bring her back, but it sure as hell wouldn't make him feel any better about losing her. Mav was the one who'd convinced him that he would regret it if he missed it.

While Rayne had her reservations for the pervert, she was thankful that he did something good for his friends—even if that meant on the opposite side of that coin, he was hurting hers.

Rayne spun, glancing around her.

Rueben stood near their row of cars with Emmet, probably discussing what this means for the mafia, but also for what their next steps were with putting in an end to his suddenly alive mother. Matteo had Ruby in one of the cars, changing her, while Tripp, Emiko, Blake, and Andi stood nearby, chatting about something she couldn't hear.

Which pointed her eyes in the direction of the last three bodies. Mason, Kai, and Caycee leaned against a few trees passing around a flask. Mason looked solemn and uninterested in conversation, while Kai seemed to keep his voice low while he talked to Caycee.

With everything going on, this was the worst possible time to mention to the couple what Maverick had been doing late at night to them, but she feared that if she didn't bring it up soon, it would never come to fruition.

Rayne took a step to do just that when the sound of hushed but conspiring voices to her left had her ears perking up. She looked over in time to see the remnants of struggle between a hooded figure and a younger child she knew all too well.

Beau.

She skimmed the crowd, wondering if anyone else saw or heard what she did. But when everyone remained immersed in conversations and mourning, she knew they weren't attune to their surroundings. Which was about as dangerous as it was endearing.