𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

EVANGELINA
——————————

I knew monsters existed.

I never expected them to appear in the form of my family.

For three days.

Three days have passed since my conversation with Asahi and I was still in bed. Not doing anything. Just lying and overthinking about my family. If I can call them a family. They don't even deserve that title.

I had no one anymore. I was all alone in this world.

When I decided to run away, I knew that there was still someone out there. Still, someone I call family. Even though I was going to be far away from them, at least I had that thought in mind.

But now... There was no one. I was completely and utterly alone.

The only person I thought I had, was just as sick as them.

Her betrayal hurt the most. I never in my life would have expected her to do the worst possible thing a human can do to another. She took an innocent life knowing Dad had kept her there for years. She didn't say anything at that time. She knew it and yet she didn't utter a word.

I turned on my back and looked at the ceiling. The tears that were welled up in my eyes, fell down and soaked the pillow underneath my head.

The thick blanket was wrapped around my body but I still felt cold.

I haven't properly eaten in these past few days and my stomach felt hollow, in a painful way. I couldn't though. Just when I actually started getting better this happened.

And Asahi... he has been through so much. He lost every person in his life. Only left with his Grandpa.

All this time I thought that he was doing this out of pettiness. That he wanted to play with Dad because of something stolen.

Even though I knew there must have been something more evil that Dad did, this was not what was in my mind.

His hatred for Dad was far deeper than I initially imagined. And it was all justifiable.

A knock on the door broke the silence in the room but I didn't move. I didn't have the energy.

I waited for Fumiko to step in and give me a smile with a tray of food in her hands. It was only she who visited. I have not seen anyone else, not even Asahi. It was understandable. I wouldn't want to see me as well.

The door slightly opened but no one walked inside.

Strange.

I was still lying on the bed when I heard small tapping noises on the wooden floor. What was that? The noises continued and they were very light, barely audible.

Pushing myself up with my weak hands, I rubbed my swollen eyes and focused my look on where the sounds were coming from.

When my eyes adjusted, I spotted a white fur moving around.

Wait that was...

I pushed the covers off me and quickly stood up from the bed, crouching down.

It was a small rabbit. Its fur was white with some light brown patches here and there. It was so small and fluffy.

The tiny creature lifted its head and its nose scrunched, smelling my extended hands.

"Oh baby, you're so cute." I squeaked and lifted the small rabbit in my hands, carefully not to scare it. I hugged him close to me and kissed his head.