Chapter 13 - "So what do we do?"

Start from the beginning

Link raised his head and gazed out on the forest of trees but the look in his eyes told Donovan he was reliving the altercation with Carter. The tears didn't come, instead he looked dazed like someone invisible had delivered a punch to his face but he didn't know where it came from.

"It felt like something I'd kept hidden and protected for years... It felt like she found it and was carelessly playing with it." Link held out his hand unconsciously as if holding a box. "I felt like my life, all the safety I knew from staying quiet, keeping a low profile was in her hands. And... and I didn't know what she'd do with it."

He looked down as if only just realizing he'd been holding out his hands. He lightly touched his fingers together and Donovan saw as more thoughts formed and converged in his throat.

"Part of me has this thought that what I'm scared of her doing, exposing the truth, using it, selling it, sharing it isn't something she'd do but... I've known her for a week. Just a week. Yeah, she helped me with Maddy, she stuck up for that one guy but she also seems to insult people without cause. So... I don't know. Which part of a person do you trust? The person who I felt was my friend or the person who I feel attacked me for the truth?"

When Link looked at Donovan, Donovan knew he was searching for an answer. A way to make sense of what had happened, what would happen, and what could possibly happen. Donovan wanted to give him a perfect answer, something that would help alleviate his pain and confusion.

But from the beginning Carter had always been a contradiction, having a heart but seemingly heartless at times. Caring but careless. A defender but defensive.

"I want to be able to tell you who you can trust and who you can't. But trust isn't something people have or don't have. It's something earned. Did Carter help you at times? Yes. There's no ignoring that truth. But is she trustworthy? I don't know. She's smart enough to know this isn't some minor secret and yet she still pushed you to admit it. I don't know if that action is from her lack of social skills or intentional."

Donovan reached out and laid his hand on Link's shoulder, squeezing it once. "But what you feel matters. Intentional or not, lack of social skills or not, understanding personal boundaries or not, she hurt you. You can work on making sense of her actions but do not think that whatever you choose to do means you can't still feel hurt by her."

Link nodded and started to look away but Donovan jostled his shoulder to bring his attention back.

"I'm serious. What you feel is valid."

"Thanks, I just... I don't know what to do now. Today felt...I was so angry towards her. I still feel so angry but I... I also hate feeling this way. And I also missed..."

Link closed in eyes in frustration and planted his laced fingers on top of his head. "Will I ever not hate who I am?"

The words hit Donovan in the chest. Because thoughtlessly, or possibly not, Carter had wanted to prove she knew the truth of Link's parentage. But she hadn't taken a second thought about what that meant for Link. How this aspect of his life affected his view of himself. Wanting to show off her intellect, Donovan could understand, but not having the intelligence to see the repercussions, that Donovan didn't understand.

"I hope so," Donovan answered. "Because I love who you are. The person you are." Link looked down, disbelieving. "I know you're a kind, hardworking, funny, sometimes weird." Link frowned but Donovan grinned at him. "Person. Someone I love being friends with. Your father is part of you but he does not define you. Whether you knew who he was or wasn't wouldn't change the fact that you decide the type of person you want to be. And I see someone I trust and love."

Link raised his eyebrows in a taunting manner. "You love me?"

"With all my heart."

They grinned at each other.

"Just so you know I love you too," Link said.

Donovan playfully shoved Link's head. "I know. You'd be hopeless without me."

Link shrugged as if to say: true. They fell quiet and watched as the sun dipped lower showering the world with a golden haze. When the darkness started to set in, Link looked at Donovan.

"What do we do now?" he asked.

Donovan thought of Carter, and how she'd looked that day. The trust she'd broken felt unrepairable but he also didn't know if slamming the door closed, locking it, and engaging the deadbolt was also the right decision. She'd looked... lost. She looked like she held the shattered remains of a vase in her hands and was clueless about how to put it back together, but also wouldn't let the pieces go.

"I don't know," Donovan said. "Are you still angry with her?"

"Not as much."

"Are you still hurt?"

"Yes."

"But do you still want to be her friend?"

"I don't know."

Donovan understood. Link had offered a part of his heart to Carter and in some ways, she'd cared for it. But in another big way, she'd damaged it but that part of his heart was still with her. It would be hard to find a way to take it back fully.

"I think," Donovan said. "We take it one day at a time."

Link nodded towards the forest and the setting sun closing out the day.

"Okay, one day at a time."

**********************************************************************

Hold it right there!

And have some of this delicious ice cream with me. 🍦🍨🍦

Thoughts! I ask, demand, implore you for your thoughts! After this is unseen footage that has never been seen before that's why it's unseen. So tell me! 💬🗯💭

Honestly I didn't expect this chapter, but something I've come to realize with this book is my love of the dynamic between Donovan and Link. It's more than Donovan being Link's protector, it's like brothers.

In a way Carter is the one person they would connect with because they've been isolated too. For Link's safety they didn't close to others. They know what it's like to feel on the outside. I didn't realize that until I wrote this book.

Also I feel like though everyone hates Link for being 'dramatic', I feel like he's allowed to feel what he feels. It wasn't like it was small issue for him. This is a point of pain, hurt, and fear. I love Carter but girl done messed up with this one.

Anyways I hope you found this as interesting as I did!

Vote, comment, follow but only if you must!