"What aren't they yapping about?" Delaney blew out a fed-up breath as she rested her cheek on the palm of her hand.

"How awful Davis' music taste is." Jess shrugged nonchalantly, ignoring Delaney and answering his uncle's question.

Maeve rolled her eyes as she continued working. "You haven't even listened to the mixtape yet."

"I don't have to, to already know that you probably listen to My Chemical Romance." Jess shook his head disapprovingly as he poured another customer some coffee.

"First of all, I only like one of their songs." Maeve narrowed her eyes at him. "And you strike me as the kinda guy that listens to Joy Division or Motley Crüe, so forgive me if I don't take any advice from you."

Jess simply shrugged, walking around the counter to place the coffee pot in its place before making his way to the apartment's stairs, mixtape still in his pocket. "Big mistake, princess."

Maeve frowned at him as she crossed her arms over her chest, calling out as she watched him approach the stairs. "Don't call me 'princess!"

Jess just turned around, unnoticeably smirking in satisfaction as he wordlessly disappeared to Luke's apartment.

Rory raised her eyebrows as she watched the entire exchange, drowning out her mother's conversation with Mia as she stood up and approached Delaney, sitting in the seat beside hers and casually speaking up, cleverly disguising her curiosity as she did so. "Do they always do this?"

Delaney glanced at Rory, not expecting the girl to be so inquisitive about the implausible pair. "Uh, yeah. If it's about music, films, or books, they go back-and-forth for, what feels like, hours. It's usually really entertaining, but it can get superfluous sometimes..."

"Oh." Rory's eyebrows raised as she met the girl's gaze. "So, they're not friends?"

Delaney let out an involuntary, entertained chuckle at the words, and she glanced at Rory with an entirely surprised expression. "Friends? Those two? No way. No, they're not even acquaintances. I'd classify them as annoyances, if anything."

Rory shifted her gaze to Maeve, who was handing a customer their food, the girl slowly nodding as she took in Delaney's words. "Okay..."

"Maeve." Luke warned, signifying for the girl to stop reading, his tone hardening as he observed the girl ignore him. "Maeve."

Maeve held a finger up as she continued scanning the page she was on, dismissing Luke as she did so, the girl sitting on one of the counter seats and focusing on the book in her hand. "Shhh, Sherlock Holmes is about to solve the mystery of Sir Charles Baskerville's death."

"You've read it already, why do you need to read it at work?" Luke furrowed his eyebrows in impatience. "And you know what happens anyway, re-reading 'Sherlock Holmes' is like watching an episode of 'Scooby Doo', you already know who the villain is."

Maeve inhaled and exhaled a deep breath as she closed her book and placed it on the counter, meeting Luke's irritated gaze. "Well, Luke, as fun and goofy as that show is, reading 'Sherlock Holmes' is way more intellectual than watching an episode of 'Scooby Doo', and if I'm being totally honest, I can multitask better reading than sitting in front of a tv."