Pure silence again. I'm aware that if I would say all this in my hometown, I would be considered as a criminal. It's one of the only reasons I'm glad we moved to Canada. The freedom of expressing our disagreements regarding the one who leads the country.

"Is there a way we could help the Ukrainians? We can't just do our lives and not do anything about it right?"

My mom is getting close to me and is stroking my cheek. "We'll find a way, love. Trust us on this."

She and her sensitive soul are hugging me. "I know that you are upset sweetie, but we can't do anything to stop him."

My sister, as upset as I am, hugs me tight. But instead of sadness dominating my emotions, it's anger that is replacing it.

After this long emotional moment, we are all making our daily routine, as usual, but the ambiance is uncomfortable. Before leaving, I grabbed my backpack in my room and my father joined me, trying to talk with me. "Hey Alexei, before you go to school, I want you to know that we will give everything to help Ukraine, okay?"

"Thank you, Dad", I reply.

"And don't let guilt overwhelm you because you didn't do anything to make it happen,mh?"

Of course, I did not, but I still feel something in me that makes me guilty about something I am not responsible for.

"I know... I'm just upset."

"We are all upset about it, Alexei. But we can't change our origins because of what the president did. We are Russian and will remain Russian, son."

I am nodding and he is hugging me tight, patting my back as bros do.

"I love you, young man."

"Me too, Dad."

My mom is calling me and I am leaving my dad to get in the car. There is no talking, no conversations, nothing. Everyone is silent and my little sister is looking at the window, while I am staring at the front window. My mother is driving and is not putting the radio on, because she knows that it'll mention the war. She guessed that none of us wanted to hear more about it this morning. "Have a nice day, kids. I love you both!"

"Have a good day you too, Mom."

I am kissing my mom's cheek and Anastasia quickly hugs her from behind. My little sister is wiping the tears left on her eyes and gets out of the car with me, and I hug her so she can feel better.

She loves hugs, but she doesn't admit it.

We both get inside the school, now separating to join our two way different social circles. My best friend, the most loyal friend I have, is sitting on a bench waiting for me while my sister, is joining the huge group of people that was waiting for her, and following her like a flock of sheep. Easy to guess- she is the most popular of the 7th grade students. I don't envy her, because popularity is not in my interests.

When I am walking towards Émile, he smiles at me."I heard the radio...How do you feel about this?"

"You mean...?" I wait for him to be more precise.

"The War. You know, Ukraine and Russia."

"Oh", I feel a bit uncomfortable, not wanting to bring the subject back. "I think that it's absolutely awful. Really, at some point, I'm ashamed."

"Hey, you have nothing to do with all this. I just wanted your opinion", he says, with a calm tone.

Émile is a very good guy. I couldn't be more grateful for a best friend like this. I know he didn't want to make me feel bad. I know this guy, and never he had bad intentions.