𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑒𝑙𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛

CHAPTER ELEVEN
Where Did It Go?

Lorelai couldn't sleep, which wasn't far stretched from reality. She often had trouble sleeping. Lorelai moved from the bed to sit on the window ledge. She did zone out a few times, which one could argue was a form of sleep, that one being Lorelai. She looked up from the spot on the wall when she heard Ethan's footsteps.

Ethan sat down in front of her, looking at her, and only her. "Why do you hate me?" Ethan asked her softly.

Lorelai furrowed her brows. "I don't hate you."

"You threatened to stab me multiple times." Ethan reminded.

"The first time was when you jumpscared me. I don't hate you, it's just... we're in rival agencies." Lorelai told him.

Ethan scoffed, "that's what this is about? Never pegged you as the type to follow the rules."

Lorelai gave him a look. "I'm helping you, reporting back to Director Ranford, the. the second this is all done, I will never see you again." Lorelai said.

Ethan smiled. "We'll find our way back to each other somehow." Ethan was onto hope.

Lorelai was not. Lorelai couldn't rely on hope. All she was trying to do was complete a boring mission. That's all this was to her, or at least that's what was telling herself. She called the weird feelings in her stomach paranoia, even though it probably wasn't. She hated when he almost made her smile, the way that he could almost make her laugh, and how she wanted to trust him. Lorelai didn't care. She couldn't care.

Ethan kept hearing Jack's words taunting him in his mind: you got a crush on her. Jack was more than right. Ethan felt he had to protect her, he hated when Krieger tried to flirt with her, he used any excuse he could to talk with her, he was falling for her. And he didn't mind it.

She caught him staring. "What look is that on your face?" She questioned.

"What look?"

Lorelai sighed. "The kind that makes me want to punch you." Lorelai replied.

Ethan shot her a look. "You're very mean, you know that, right?" He said.

"What are you? Twelve." Lorelai retorted.

Ethan walked over to the desk with the laptop and opened the bible.

"You contacting your buyer?" Krieger questioned. Ethan ignored him and so did Lorelai. "Ethan?"

Ethan typed to Max saying, Max, With rulers who had hold, who filled their houses with silver...

He continued typing while Lorelai drank from the cup of coffee as Krieger walked in with a glass of alcohol. "Ethan. Excuse me. Mr. Hunt." Krieger corrected himself, scoffing.

When there was no response again, Krieger walked over to the desk and pushed the bible forward, causing it to fall off of the desk. Ethan groaned.

"You're not going to any meeting without me." Krieger firmly stated, making Lorelai scoff and roll her eyes in annoyance.

"My contact is extremely shy. Doesn't even like Lorelai." Ethan half-lied.