chapter four

*Look at that face ^😩😍 My friend called him ugly I was like 'Bitch where?'

Anyways.. Enjoy.
- 2015

•••

are you ok?

Around 11:45pm I started to get restless. I couldn't even enjoy myself. I had fine ass women trying to get me to take them home and all I could think about was some broke, suicidal  girl.

I never asked her why she tried to kill herself. She was probably feeling alone right about now. Shit, she barely had furniture to keep her company.

"Vic! I'm about to head out." I called to him over the music.

"Already? You just got here." He said, looking at me strangely.

"Yea, but I'm tired, man." I said as Rueben appeared in front of me.

"O, you heading out? I see ya, boy!" He smiled, pointing to the girl who'd been trying to get me to take her home.

"Nah, she staying here." I shook my head. She rolled her eyes at me and walked off. I blew out a breath and looked back at Rueben.

"I'm gone. Aye, you know if any grocery stores open?"

"Nigga, what?" Rueben squinted his eyes at me.

"Never mind. I'm out." I dapped them up before leaving.

I drove around for almost an hour looking for an open grocery store. There were no 24 hour Walmart's and everything was closed because it was nearing midnight.

I gave up and decided just go to an open corner store. I grabbed 100 dollars worth of snacks. The man looked extremely annoyed when I put half the damn store on the counter to ring up ten minutes before closing time.

I tossed everything in my backseat and found the most recent address in my gps. I parked nearest her apartment and made a couple trips back and forth with the bags before knocking on her door.

There was no answer.

I knocked again and still no answer. I reached under the welcome mat and grabbed the key.
I unlocked the door and pushed it open. It was pitch black and completely silent. I flicked the light switch and nothing happened so I turned on my phone's flashlight and moved all the bags inside.

"Raj?" I called, fairly loudly.

Seconds later, a sleepy-looking Raj came from her bedroom. God, she was beautiful. But her mouth wasn't.

"What the fuck are you doing in my house!" She asked, looking at me like I was crazy.

I did kinda look crazy, I guess.

"Being nice. I brought groceries. Sort of. " I explained, holding up a bag.

She looked down at my feet and saw the mass of bags, then looked back up at me. She slowly made her way closer to me. She grabbed the bag out of my hand a looked inside.

She then proceeded to laugh. Laugh. Not thank me for my generosity, but laugh.

"This is not how you pretend to have never met somebody..." She smiled, shaking her head.

She sat the bag on floor before taking the key out of my hand a pushing me further into her apartment. She placed the key back under the mat and closed her door.

She began grabbing bags and taking them to the kitchen, so I did the same. She lit some candles, giving the room much needed light.

"There were no open grocery stores. I had to settle for 'Kwik Mart' " I said taking stuff out of the bags.

"That was really sweet of you, jackass." She said, doing the same. "So what do we have here...Arizonas, Cheddar Popcorn, Hot Fries, Jungle Juice...none of this goes together. The healthiest thing you have here is peppermint." She laughed, holding up the peppermint.

"I know, I know. Look, tomorrow I'll take you grocery shopping."

"You sure you don't want to just wire me the money?" She sarcastically asked, the smile she had leaving her face.

"I'm sorry, I know sometimes I can be a-"

"Jackass?" She said with a raised eyebrow.

I sucked my teeth. " I was going to say a bit rude.." I said playfully pushing her.

We finished in kitchen before going and sitting on the couch. I expected her to turn the tv on or something but when she didn't, it got a bit awkward.

"I don't have cable..." She said, uncomfortably clasping her hands together. I chuckled, "Who needs tv, anyway? I just wanted to make sure you were ok."

She nodded, "I'm fine. Thanks."

"No, really—"

"No, really. I'm perfectly fine. Never better."

I nodded and bit my bottom lip. She got up to get something to drink and I began to anxiously tap my knee. There was one question that was burning inside of me. I couldn't leave until I knew.

"Why'd you do it?"