Oliver stood up and looked at his sisters, "Come on."

Samantha and Isabella stood up; Samantha carrying Ernie. They followed him quietly down the hall, watching him peer through the banister.

"What are we doing?" Samantha asked in a hushed voice.

Oliver hurried to the stairs and carefully started down them, "Getting something to eat."

"Yes, please. I'm starving." Isabella said.

Samantha gasped, "But Father said to go to bed without—" but she saw her older brother send her a cheeky wink, "—oh. We're getting something to eat."

Cook sat back in a chair, content in her sudden break, "Bed without supper. That'll show 'em. Yes, that'll show 'em."

She shut her eyes and heard a creaky squeaker. She looked at her feet and saw one of the children's toys scurrying under a cabinet. She jumped to her feet and gripped at a piece of parchment in her pocket.

"You aren't allowed in my kitchen!" she shrieked, "I have it in writing!"

"Now!" Oliver announced and he and his sisters pounced at Cook. The poor woman couldn't get a word out before Samantha tied a cloth around her head.

Theseus looked up suddenly when he heard commotion in the kitchen. He stood up, fully ready to charge in there and discipline his children. But as he passed through the entryway, a crack of thunder ripped outside and immediately following were three loud knocks at the door.

Theseus turned to see who was at the door, but all he saw was the outline of a woman. He approached the door slowly and opened it quickly. The woman looked at him with a snaggled mouth.

"Hello, Mr. Scamander." she announced and tilted her head, "I am Nanny McPhee."

Theseus was speechless. He let her in and looked at her, confused. She looked around the entryway when a loud clang sounded from the kitchen. She made a hm sound and looked around at Theseus.

"I suppose that is the children." she inquired rhetorically, "Well, before I start, there are a few things you need to know. I have five lessons they must pass. You can go read your newspaper."

And she turned and headed for the kitchen. Theseus watched her go, confused. He turned slowly and went back to his office.

Nanny McPhee walked down to the kitchen, a whimsical glide about her. She opened the door to a wild house. Ernie lay in a vegetable basket. Isabella was getting into every jam and preserve in sight. Samantha was tinkering with the light fixture. And Oliver was throw random items into a big pot and stirring them up.

Oliver looked over and snickered, "Oh, look! The doors open and no one's there!"

Nanny McPhee raised her eyebrows, "I'm here. I am Nanny McPhee."

"Did you hear something?" Oliver retorted.

Isabella looked at him, snickering, and responded through a mouthful of sticky fruits, "I didn't hear anything!"

Samantha locked eyes with the nanny, "That's because there's no one there!"

"Tidy things up and go to bed, children."

"You know what. I have a brilliant idea." Oliver said, "Why don't we stay down here and play all night?"

Samantha and Isabella laughed. Oliver met eye contact with the nanny and smiled cheekily. Nanny McPhee showed no sign of retaliation. All she did was produce a walking stick from under her travel coat, raised it off the ground, and banged it against the floor. Sparks flew and the children started to nonstop play in the kitchen. Isabella grabbed all the jars she'd eaten clean and threw them in Samantha's direction.