[Vol 2} Chapter 7: Surprising Revelations

Cunning is the art of concealing our own defects and discovering other people's weaknesses. – William Hazlitt

            "Ugh..."

            It's another sunny day, which means it's a perfect day to be roasted alive. Though the hat I'm wearing does help immensely, it still doesn't eliminate the heat altogether, which is an unfortunate fact. Does summer usually get this hot? I can't imagine anyone enjoying this time of the year.

            As I walked on the concrete sidewalk, I decided to stop at a nearby tree that was providing some shade.

            "Finally..."

            Leaning against the tree, I took out my phone and checked to see if a specific application was still running, and luckily it was.

            "That's—"

            Suddenly, a pair of hands grabbed my shoulders. "Boo!"

            "Huh?"

            I turned around to find Haruka behind me, a mischievous grin on her face.

            "So, so? Did I scare you?"

            "No? Was I supposed to be?" I said as I put my phone back into my pocket.

            Her grin fell and transformed into a disappointed look.

            "Sigh. Really? Not even a bit of a reaction?"

            I didn't mean to make her disappointed. Should I have just said yes?

            "Uh, my timbers were shivered, actually."

            "Pft! Bwahaha!"

            "H-huh? Why... Why are you laughing?"

            I was caught off guard by her sudden fit of laughter. I mean, my intentions were to cheer her up, but did I overdo it?

            "Um..."

            "Sorry, sorry! I just—Oh my god! Say it again, say it again!"

            Am I being made fun of?

            "Uh... My timbers were shivered?"

            "Bwahaha!"

            I stood there awkwardly, just watching Haruka burst out into laughter yet again. Did I say the phrase wrong? Was it the way I said it? I had so many questions.

            "Okay... Okay... Let me catch my breath..." She fanned herself a little. "I'm sorry, ReiRei, but I don't think that's what you say in this situation."

            "Really?"

            "Hehe, yeah. Plus, you said it with such a straight face!"

            "Oh..."

            Curse my monotonous expressions!

            "What was I supposed to say then?

            "Not that for starters. You only say that when you're being sarcastic. And even then, who says it like that? People usually say, 'shiver my timbers,' not 'my timbers were shivered'!"

            "I see. It did sound weird saying it like that. I was trying to cheer you up by acting like I was actually scared, but that clearly didn't work out."