If I'm Standing On The Yard During A Yard Sale, Am I For Sale Too?

Chapter 19- If I'm Standing On The Yard During A Yard Sale, Am I For Sale Too?

I roll over to face him and move my arms to the front, but my eyes widen as I look up at none other than Calian Louen. Of course it had to be him. I doubt he recognized my voice or else he would have said something, but unless he's a complete idiot it won't take long now that he can see my eyes and hair properly. I quickly move my arms to the front and get to my feet. He draws his sword so I draw mine and swing it at him.

Our fight is quieter than I expected as our swords clash in the night. I drop my sword and duck under his blade before tackling him to the ground. It may be somewhat quiet but it won't take long for metal on metal to draw attention. There seems to be a party going on in the distance by the medical ward so their noise has been disguising us. I land blow after blow to his face but when he swings back, it knocks the mask off my face. I curse under my breath and cover my face with one hand as I blindly reach for it, but it's too late. I hear his breath catch and his eyes widen as he looks at me.

"Ember...?" I take his shock as an opportunity to land a blow to his head that knocks him unconscious.

I grab my mask and put it in place before hurrying off to the castle. I don't know how long he'll be out or how long it'll take until he's noticed but I need to get the stupid crown and get out of here. I can't use Calian to get out of The Pack because of his loyalty to the kingdom. If anything, he'd just 'feel bad' as he helped the executioner give me a necklace. He could tell Dad though if they crossed paths. Dad would hate me if he found out I'm involved with them. He spoke so negatively of The Pack but it's Mom's legacy. Why am I not allowed to follow in her footsteps?

I make my way through the castle corridors, clinging to shadows and alcoves as I head to King Izana's wing. He is known to keep it somewhere in his office instead of the throne room where his father's crown is kept. I haven't encountered many guards but they never noticed me as I hid. There are two guarding the double doors to his quarters unfortunately and there's not really a place to hide. I don't recognize them though so that means I'm relatively free of being known. I remove my mask and tuck it away in my tunic before moving around the corner as if I belong. They stiffen as they look at me but tell me the king is resting.

"I'm so sorry, I know, but he requested earlier in the day for me to gather his washing this evening." I lie easily.

They share a look before opening the doors for me. I thank them quietly and tell them that it won't take long and I promise not to disturb the king. Stupid men...

The doors close behind me and I glance around the room to find it to be his office and completely empty. I pull my mask out and return it to it's proper place before looking around for the crown. I don't see it anywhere in plain sight which I guess is a logical thing. The king is probably stupid but not that stupid. I'd likely keep it in my desk if I were him. I take a half step toward the desk as the door across the room opens and a tall blond man steps out with the crown in his hand. I don't think he's noticed me yet despite me standing in the middle of the room. Stupid... I do take the opportunity to slip the mask off again and pick back up on the lie that I'd told the guards as his eyes meet mine.

"And who might you be?"

"I'm sorry for the intrusion, I'm new here but I came to fetch your washing for the evening."

"Is that why you're here?" He asks, the amusement in his tone not disguised in the slightest. "Can you tell me why you're really here? Though I'm sure that lie worked wonderfully on the guards. They are rather useless." I watch him cross the room and settle behind his desk with his feet propped up on the corner of the desktop. He casts the crown onto the desk and his deep blue eyes meet mine, full of curiosity.

"I have a simple proposition for you, Your Highness." I tell him, my mind reeling but I push it down in exchange for cool confidence.

"And what might that be?"

"You hand me the crown without calling for the guards and let me leave peacefully."

"What would I get out of this proposition?"

"Oh that's simple really. You don't get murdered horrifically and I don't leave your corpse for your brother and subjects to find. I don't risk capture that would lead to a war being waged upon your castle leading to mass casualties and the uprooting of your precious kingdom's peace."

"You have a wonderfully descriptive mind," He chuckles. "I can assure you though that I can't give you my crown despite my hatred of it. I also can't assure your escape when you infiltrated my castle and undoubtedly attacked the young guard that's passed out on the grounds just outside my window."

"I didn't attack him, he was just stupid." I shrug.

"Stupidity causes injury?"

"Have you not seen stupid people get hurt of their own accord?" I shoot back and he tries very hard to suppress his laughter.

"You seem mildly familiar, like I dealt with someone similar to you in my life."

My eyes widen slightly... he must've known Dad when he worked here for the castle. "No idea who you could be referring to. Look, deal's changing. You give me the crown and I apologize for the stupid boy in the yard and I'll leave quietly. Give me a ten second head start once I'm on the grounds then send your people after me. If they catch me, you win. If I get away, well, so long to the crown I suppose."

"Your plan is rather foolish, but I know you can't succeed so sure, why not little girl."

"I'm seventeen. I'm practically an adult."

"My brother said the same thing when he took on that annoying sarcastic criminal as a messenger... Oh, that's who you remind me of. Obi was his name I think? You look like you could be his kid. I vaguely recall him bringing a little girl here a few times before he disappeared..." I know what he's saying is true and it's directed AT me but he seems to be mumbling to himself more than anything. Stupid... "Regardless, let the games begin Child." Stupid.