Chapter 20

Nie Huaisang was struggling to hide his smile at Jiang Cheng's brilliant blush as he tried to explain how he knew Wen Qing's schedule.

"It's just a coincidence! Really! I was searching for my idiot brother and happened to see her!"

Wei WuXian made a doubtful noise and deflated that defence.

"Searching for me at 6am ? Near the Healers pavilion? Me? The person who knows absolutely nothing about healing and doesn't even wake up until nine? Nice try, ChengCheng." Wei Ying scoffed as Wangji covered a wry smile with his sleeve.

"Who are you calling ChengCheng? " Jiang Cheng muttered, his face still quite red.

"Fine, fine, enough about Jiang Cheng's romantic stalker tendencies." Wangji waved off, while Jiang Cheng looked murderous.

"How are we going to catch the little spy in the act?"

"We should probably take turns tailing her until we find something out," Huaisang added, running his fingers along his fan in thought.

"Sounds like a plan to me." Wei Ying agreed with a nod.

"Jiang-Xiong and I can watch her in the morning, Wei-Xiong the afternoon, and since Ji-Xiong knows the patrol routines, he gets night duty."

"Sounds good to me; I'm good at sneaking around at night. Ooh, I can wear my new navy blue robes I bought last week." Wangji added with a smile as he clasped his hands together.

"Is everything clothing with you?" Jiang Cheng scoffed, still salty about being called a stalker, which he wasn't!

"Yes, yes, it most certainly is. And unless you want me to cut off your supply of lotus silk under robes, I suggest you zip it." Wangji sassed while Jiang Cheng glared but bit his tongue, not wanting to annoy his lotus silk dealer any further.

"Eh, kitten, play nice. Jiang Cheng wouldn't last the week if you cut him off. He'd die from withdrawal." Wei Ying joked as he wrapped his arms around Wangji's waist.

"I- you, well. Argh! How am I supposed to be even the slightest bit intimidating if you go around calling me things like 'kitten' and 'JiJi' every five seconds." Wangji pinched the bridge of his nose while Jiang Cheng snorted.

"Alright, that's enough dog food for one day! " Huaisang clapped his hands, bringing the focus back to him.

"Can we please concentrate? We have a spy to catch."

"Right, sorry." Wangji wormed his way out of Wei Ying's grasp, while Wei Ying gave a pouty whine. 

"Everyone. Let's do this."

The quartet all gave each other affirmative nods before they each walked out of the Jingshi with a mission on their minds.

Wangji felt ridiculous that night as he stood watch outside Wen Qing's quarters, perfectly camouflaged under the night sky in his navy robes.

He was going to go mad if this kept up.

Seeing dawn edge over the sky, he quietly went to return to his rooms, only to slip and fall, the air filling with a loud tearing sound. Horrified, WangJi looked at ugly tears from hems to the chest.

"Screw this, I'm doing this my way!" Wangji screeched as he stomped back to his quarters to formulate a plan and fix his robes. 

                                                              · · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·