Chapter 28

Nie Huaisang's legs barely kept up with Jiang Cheng's rapid walk as they left Jiang Yanli's room, fighting his own anger and disappointment. Young Miss Jiang, whose face still held evidence of a brutal slap, was unable to get any information on Wei WuXian and was unwilling to press the Lan Sect for answers. Jiang Yanli even scolded and cautioned them both to watch their actions.

"You won't help A-Xian or Second Master Lan by getting into trouble yourselves. Both of you are Sect Heirs and know that sometimes the needs of the Sect come before the one. Mother won't do anything to XianXian without Father, you know this, A-Cheng."

Huaisang's face burned again, with both rage and embarrassment, at hearing the explosive argument between the siblings, when Cheng-ge vehemently disagreed. Now together on the back path to Wangji's rooms, did worry for Jihua pass through his mind. So many unanswered questions to the day's events were causing him to lose hold of his peace.

Nie Huaisang felt his family's curse seething in his core, rage at the injustice sang a sweet song that had his fingers twitching for a saber. He needed answers, and the not knowing anything, not what happened, or what to do, was torture. Trying to calm himself, Huaisang skidded to a stop when Cheng-ge suddenly stopped. Both stilled before silently slipping into the hedges surrounding the Jingshi.

"What in the actual hell is going on! Why is there a guard on WangJi's empty room? Where are they keeping him? Some Lan Sect secret punishment room!!! If we can't get to Jiangnan for answers, then we need to get to Lotus Pier. For a Sect that has rules about gossip, these Lans sure are chatty little birds!"

Catching Cheng-ge's eyes, he nodded, and together listened. Jiang Cheng could barely contain his pure, unbridled rage as he and Huaisang were eavesdropping on a conversation between two elders.

"To think that the Head Disciple of the Jiang Clan would drag our Second Young Master down in the dirt with him. What a shame, truly," one old man shook his head ruefully."Although, don't you think 500 hundred whips was a bit too harsh? He is the younger brother of the Sect Leader, after all? Also, three years isn't exactly a blink of an eye, you know," the other man added, staring out at nothing in particular.

What did they just say?

500 whips?

Would anyone survive that?! Just what kind of person was Lan Qiren to do that to his own nephew? And what was all that about, three years?! Surely, they didn't mean seclusion.

"Still, it can't be as bad as what's coming for that Wei Wuxian fellow. Good grief, that woman is utterly terrifying."

Jiang Cheng didn't have to have context to know who they were talking about. A lead ball dropped in his stomach as he realized what his Shidi was in for.

No, he had to get back to Yunmeng. Now.

He didn't have to tell Huaisang what was on his mind, as the boy gave him a firm nod.

"I'm going with you," Huaisang whispered as the two rushed to their dorms.