Chapter 19

Han Jihua was watching the strange behaviour of the cultivator in the best guest room in Huanyi Brothel. The cultivator was spending money as if it was water, something he would generally be happy about, but this man was sending every instinct he owned clanging. The man was wearing the finest robes and had surrounded himself with a large group of men who were enjoying being treated to wine, food and women, but he himself was not partaking.

Instead, the cultivator was putting on a show, while it seemed to Jihua, he watched the outside crowds. Following his line of sight across the large street, Jihua felt his stomach tighten, seeing the House of Fuyu was the object of the man's focus.

Moving to the stage, Han Jihua and the other dancers began their routine, and he kept the cultivator in sight, being careful not to pay too much attention. After two hours, Jihua was convinced that the cultivator was here for Fuyu ShangYe.

He needed to tell Ai, right now. But if he did now, it would look too suspicious. All he could do was hope that Ai's weird danger senses would kick in, and he'd get out of town. Jihua finished the first part of his routine and picked up his pipa.

 Sitting down on a cushion in the middle of the large stage, he started playing a song. He had done this a thousand times before, so he barely needed to look at the frets as his fingers glided across the strings. His eyes were focused on the cultivator as he leaned his head coquettishly on his instrument as he played. His heart wasn't in it, but it still sounded pleasant. He focused with all his might, and tried to telepathically tell his friend that something was very wrong.

'Ai, for god's sake, someone is out to get you!'

Wangji sat up as straight as an arrow at his balcony desk as he suddenly felt rather cold. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up. He looked around a bit, but he couldn't find anything wrong. Everything was in its right place, and everything was all right back at the shop.

So why did he feel like something was out to get him? No, something wasn't right. He could feel it. On top of it, it was like some sort of third party was trying to warn him.

He needed to leave; being in Jiangnan wasn't safe. He quickly abandoned his sketches on his table and rushed out. His large hot pink and black sleeves swished about as he moved.

He held on tightly to the numerous jade pendants hanging down from his belt as he made his way down the stairs, locking the doors of his mansion behind him.

Now, I'm sure you may be curious about how Wangji knew. The answer is actually quite straightforward.

After living in fear of being discovered for most of his life, he developed a peculiar ability that I like to call 'autonomous instinct'.

As an illustration, a soldier who has spent most of their life on the battlefield develops acute senses that enable them to detect potential danger.

Ah, but how did Wangji know that Jihua was trying to warn him? You might ask. Well, that's also rather simple, in theory, at least.

The power of friendship!

No, no, wait, let me finish! I swear, it's not cringe!

After being the closest of friends for so long, Jihua and Wangji have a mutual understanding of each other and each other's thoughts.

That mutual understanding has evolved over the years that they've known each other and has become an extraordinary connection.

When Wangji is sad, Jihua senses it, and promptly runs over to Fuyu's with enough wine to poison an elephant.