Chapter 9: A New Start

The next morning when you woke up, you could hardly believe what had happened the previous night. You felt closer to Kabuki than ever. You turned to your side and saw him sitting by you, the early morning sun flooding the room. You smiled nervously at him.

"I have news," he said, nonchalantly. You nodded and straightened up beside him.

"We will not be seeing each other for a while," he went on. The smile on your face started to fade. This again. This was the second time he was pushing you away after getting so close to you. You leaned your head on his shoulder, hoping he wouldn't snap at the gesture.

"I will be at the Akademiya. I have a lot of data and information to intake from the Sumeru sages. That is the final step before I can finally become the Shouki no Kami," Scaramouche went on unbothered by you. You nodded again, your face falling into a frown.

"Y/n, I have something really important to ask," Scaramouche said, turning towards you.

"Listen carefully. I have made arrangements as such that no one will keep you caged up anymore. You are free to roam about Sumeru as you please. Enjoy the scenery, have fun. I'll even give you as much mora as you need and a place to stay in the city."

You were honestly surprised at this kindness coming from him. The picture of a Kabukimono with his white attire and purple veil, helping you run errands back in Tatarasuna so many years ago suddenly flashed before your eyes. How you missed everything about that time.

"In return, I need something from you." The visualisation in your head broke at this. Of course. He is the Balladeer now. The kindness will not be free.

"The traveler is here in Sumeru now," Scaramouche said. That's right, you remembered. The traveler was supposed to be in Sumeru after he had done his work in the Chasm.

"And he is looking for you," Scaramouche expression changed into annoyance, "You can't do anything right, can you, y/n?" 

You gave a look of disbelief. What was this new thing? How is it your fault?

"I finally think that I have you all to myself and here comes the greatest celebrity of Teyvat looking for you. Isn't that nice?" he grabbed your shoulders as he hissed these words through gritted teeth. 

You shook your head, trying to convince him that there was nothing that the traveler had to do with you. But the muting potion was still working its magic. You got up and started roaming around the room, you had to make him understand the situation. The traveler was supposed to be in Sumeru with or without you as it was. You were desperately looking for something to write on so that you could explain the situation. This only made Scaramouche lose his temper even more.

"How many people are so obsessed with you, y/n?" he shouted, getting up, "What are you doing, huh? Even you think I am just a puppet you can toy around with, right?"

You frantically searched for a pen, shuffling around the desks in the room. Scaramouche caught up to you and pushed you against the wall.

"STOP IT! What is wrong with you? How could you of all people do this? Didn't I have enough already?" The way he was looking at you with anger and disappointment made you weaker than you ever felt before. He had it all wrong. He had no idea the only person that you loved for more than 500 years was him. He had no idea how you ever felt. And now he was so misunderstood but you couldn't do anything. Tears started spilling out of your eyes as you held is face gasping to make words come out of your mouth. 

Scaramouche seemed to be taken aback a bit. You hugged him tightly as if the sheer hug would explain all that you had to say to him but could not. He let go of you and just stood there as you buried your face in his chest, crying silently. You both stayed there for sometime and then you heard him sigh.

"Whatever," he said. "Someone will be here soon to get you to your place in the city. I have a lot to do." Saying this, he tried to untangle himself from you. You clung tighter. You hated this misunderstanding. How could you let him leave you on such terms? 

"Listen, y/n," Scaramouche said, "I am putting my trust in you. You are going to be my first follower sage as I promised. In return, all I ask for is loyalty towards your god. I don't care what you do with the traveler or anyone else. But if my plan is ruined because of your actions, I will make sure that's the end of your long long life on Teyvat."

Saying this, Scaramouche detached himself from you and left the room, making sure to lock it up from the outside, so that you couldn't follow him. You fell to the floor and sobbed into your hands. Why did it have to be like this? All you ever did was long for him. Why did things have to go south right after such a lovely night? You hated everything at the moment. Everything but Kabuki. Or even Scaramouche. You didn't care at this point. You were convinced they were all the same. Kabukimono, Scaramouche, The Balladeer, Kunikuzushi or even Shouki no Kami. They were all one person and the only person you cared for.

After you had calmed down, you got up and continued your search for something to write on. The next time you see him, even if you can't speak, you will explain everything to him by writing. After searching a while, you even came across a bunch of parchment and a pen. You regretted not finding this sooner and punched your head out of frustration as you settled down to write.

It took you quite some time to finish writing everything that you wanted to tell Scaramouche. But it was there. You rolled up all the pages and secured it in a pocket inside your shirt. Soon after that, a fatui cicin mage opened your door and led you outside. The boat had docked in port Ormos. 

The smell of the sea and the forest mixing together greeted you. The bustling port seemed inviting. There was a beautiful music that filled your ears- the sound of street peddlers. Despite everything, you were a little happy to be a part of this.

"You will be on your own now," the cicn mage said, handing you a parcel, "This has a map and mora from Lord Sixth. Get yourself to Sumeru City and find your place there." Saying as little as this, she left. 

You stood up higher and made up your mind to be positive about this. You will go to Sumeru City, find your place and wait there for Scaramouche. You had everything ready to explain him the situation and you felt like you actually had a chance at having a good time with him.

Sumeru was not a bad place after all.