Chapter 1: around 400 years ago

Tatarasuna was a flourishing village in Inazuma- home to the blacksmiths and forgers. As far as your memory went, you had spent the entirety of your 7 years of existence on Teyvat here.

You were Niwa Hisahide's little sister, Niwa y/n and like him, had a red streak in your hair. Your whole family was the practitioner of the Isshin arts. And Hisa-nii (what you called Hisahide, your elder brother) was exceptionally good at it. You dreamed of growing up and being exactly like him some day.

Your days as the youngest member in the Niwa family began with fetching water and cooking for the family. All the elders had to work in the furnace and you were still too young for that sort of heavy work. So you were responsible for looking after the house and finishing random chores for the villagers. Life was peaceful all around.

Then one day, Hisa-nii brought someone home. 

"Look here y/n, I got you a friend" Hisa-nii said, beckoning you to come out from behind the curtains.

The small person beside him did not smile. He was dressed in all whites and a purple veil covered his head. He has deep purple eyes and hair. To you, he looked very fragile and you just wanted to give him some food first.

"This is the kabukimono" Hisa-nii told you. And then as if reading your thoughts, he added, "Guess what? He doesn't eat or drink, y/n. Isn't he so cool, huh?"

You weren't sure if the kabukimono was cool. In the first place, "the kabukimono" was a strange name. You didn't like it.

"Come here," you said softly to the little person "I'll show you to your place in our house."

The kabukimono followed you quietly after Hisa-nii gave him a reassuring nod.

You both disappeared in the corridor. Though small, he was still significantly taller than you, you noticed.

"Who are you?"

The voice came from the kabukimono and you stopped in your way. That's right. Hisa-nii didn't introduce you properly.

"I'm y/n Niwa. I'm the younger sister of the person who just brought you here. Why are you called the kabukimono?"

"Don't know," he replied.

"Why do you not eat or drink?" you asked again.

"Don't know." Same reply.

"Can I call you Kabuki?"

"Ok."

And that is how easily you and Kabuki became friends. Later Hisa-nii told you that kabuki was found in the Shakkei pavilion by Katsuragi-san, a very high positoned samurai. And that he was very lonely because he was different from everyone else. Hisa-nii asked you to stay friends with him and make him feel welcome. He will be staying with you all from now on.

Months passed and kabuki and you became inseparable friends. Sure he was strange and didn't know a lot of things but you taught him reading and writing and he learned the art of making weapons from Hisa-nii and the other elders. When no one was around, kabuki even taught you what he had learned in the furnace as well.

One day, both of you went to fetch water in the early morning and kabuki said something strange again.

"Say y/n," he paused in his tracks "will it hurt you if I hit you in the head or anywhere else?"

At this point you were used to his eccentric questions.

"Of course it will hurt, dummy," you replied in a know-it-all manner.

"It doesn't hurt for me though."

"Well good for you, kabuki. You're a lucky one. Don't think of hurting me though."

You replied and resumed walking again. You had assumed kabuki had started following you as well and kept heading towards the village.

"Y/n!" you heard kabuki shout and turned around. He was still standing where he had stopped, clutching his fists.

"Whaaat?" you had to shout a little to make sure he could hear you.

"I'll make sure no one hurts you ever! It's a promise!" he declared.

His promise sounded more like a promise to himself than to you.

"Of course you will kabuki," you smiled. "We will always be there for each other."

( picture credit: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/104226208 )