14. Heartbroken Vampire

Damon's completely lost it and Bonnie left. Everything is wrong.

I drive over to the Salvatore house, silently cursing myself.

I walk in to see Damon dancing and drinking with a bunch of half naked girls.
"El!" Damon yells. "Come to join us?"
"Damon, can we talk?" I ask.
"Whatever you have to say to me you can say infront of them. They're great at keeping secrets."
"Damon, please."

Damon sighs.
"Sit down." He says to the girls and they do. I grab his arm pulling him up the stairs.

"You look..."
"Dashing? Gorgeous? Irresistible?" He asks getting into my face. I put my hand on his chest moving him back.
"Damon."
"You're worried about me, it's sweet. Cute even. I spent the last 145 years with one goal: get in that tomb. I succeeded. Granted Katherine wasn't in there to be rescued but why dwell? You know it's so liberating not having a master plan because I can do whatever the hell I want."
"That scares me." I say.
"Relax. I haven't killed anyone in... too long."
"What an accomplishment." I say.

"What do you need?" He asks.
"I just wanted to check up on you."
"Never been better." He smiles.
"Damon, I'm your friend. I would even go as far as to say your only friend."
"That may be true."
"I care about you. A lot. I'm here."
"I'm doing great, Elise. Don't worry."

My phone buzzes. I ignore it.
"Damon stop lying." I say. It buzzes again.
"It might be important." Damon smirks. I pull out my phone to see Matt blowing up my phone telling me to come home.

"I've gotta go." I say to Damon.
"Later." Damon says. I turn around but face Damon again. I throw my arms over him.
"Let people care about you." I whisper before walking out.

I get to the house and hear talking. I walk into the kitchen and see Mom.
"Mom?" I ask running to hug her.
"Hey honey."
"Where have you been?" I ask.
"You know here and there. Never one place too long. You know Pete."
"No we actually don't because you've never brought him around." Matt says.
"Did you know Matts got a blonde hanging around?" Mom asks me.
"Mom lets not do this again." Matt says. I laugh.

"How about you? Who do you have hanging around?" Mom asks.
"No one." I smile.
"Please." Matt laughs. "You and Damon are practically a thing."
"No we're not." I laugh.
"Who's Damon?" Mom asks.
"He's a very good friend of mine." I say.

"So you heard from Vic?" Matt asks instantly reminding me of everything that's happened.
"No but don't worry. She'll come home eventually when she needs something. I've played that game."
"Are you playing it now?" Matt asks.
"No."
"Then what are you doing home?"
"Trying to say I need a reason to come back?" Mom asks. Matt doesn't respond.

The next day I decide to check up on Damon before the fundraiser.

I walk in and see Damon completely shirtless.
"Hi Damon." I say.
"Do you know that I'm one of mystic falls most eligible bachelors?" He asks.
"That so?" I ask.
"Yup."

"My mom came home." I say to Damon. He turns to me while struggling to button up his shirt.
"A hand?" He asks. I walk over helping him. "Did she say where she's been?"
"No. I doubt she'll stay long."
"Why's that?"
"She never stays. She only comes around when it's convenient for her." I say.
"She sucks." Damon says looking at me carefully.

"I need you to give me a ride to the grill. I had Matt drop me off." I say.
"Sure. Let's go." Damon says grabbing his jacket.

Once we get there Damon walks off to go with the other guys and Elena walks over to me.
"I know who my mom is." She says.
"Who?" I ask.
"Alarics wife."
"Didnt she go missing?" I ask. She nods.
"Alaric said she was killed by a vampire."
"There's no way. What are the chances that your biological mom not only is our history teachers dead wife and killed by a vampire?" I ask. She shrugs.

The bachelors talk about themselves. Damon goes on about how he knew Alarics wife and uses the word "delicious" to describe her.

Elena gets up and storms off. Stefan follows after her.

• • •

I'm looking for my white purse. I can't find it anywhere at home meaning it must be at the Salvatore's. I text Damon asking if he's seen it He doesn't respond.

I decide to just go over anyways. I pull into the driveway and see Matt, Elena, Caroline, and Stefan.
"Hey guys." I say getting out.
"Hey, what are you doing here?" Matt asks.
"Came to see if my purse was here. I texted Damon but he never answered."
"That's cause he was drunk." Elena says.
"He was drinking with our mom and Elenas aunt." Matt says.
"Well, that's interesting." I say laughing slightly.

I open the door and walk in. Down the hall is people making out. It's Damon and my mom. I freeze.
"Mom?" Matt asks. She looks over instantly.
"Oh my god. Matt. Elise." She says walking over to us.
"What the hell is wrong with you?" I ask to both of them.
"Elise please." Mom says trying to grab my arm.
"No. Go." I say moving away from her. "I'll get home later." I say to Matt who nods.

Stefan pulls Elena out leaving Damon and I alone.
"Out if anyone in the world you chose to makeout with my mom?" I ask. "I thought she sucked." I say glaring at Damon. I don't let him respond as I walk into the living room looking for my purse.

Damon appears infront of me.
"I'm sorry." He whispers. Without thinking I slap him.
"You're a dick. And you're not even sorry. Stop saying you're sorry! You fuck things up and come running to me saying you're sorry. If you were sorry you'd stop." I say glaring at him. Now he glares back.

I see my purse out of the corner of my eye and grab it.
"This is what I came for." I say.

Stefan walks in.
"Save the lecture." Damon says to Stefan. I try to walk out when I hear glass shatter. I turn and see a vampire on top of Stefan. Damon pushes him off while they begin fighting.

Another vampire runs in and attacks Stefan. I look around quickly and see the small box. I open it pulling out the wood stake. I move it behind me.

The female vampire turns to me and smiles.
"Elise, run!" Damon yells.

The vampire runs towards me and Stefan grabs her. She turns to him pushing him to a wall. Without thinking I run behind her and stake her. Stefan drops her while she turns gray.

The other vampire sees her and leaves.

"You should've ran." Damon says to me.
"Don't tell me what to do." I say.
"I remember them from 1864. They were in the tomb." Stefan says.
"I'm leaving." I say. They both nod at me while I walk out.

I walk into the house both mad and shaken up. Moms waiting for me at the table.
"Elise." She says.
"No. Save it." I say.
"I'm sorry."
"If one more person tells me their sorry I'm going to lose my mind. You knew Damon was my friend, yet you still got drunk and madeout with him. Do you think you're still 17?" I ask. She doesn't respond. "Forget being our mom. You're the grown adult. Start acting like it." I say walking into my room.