4. Comet Night

We're at the grill. Caroline is telling Elena she should sleep with Stefan.

"I kissed Damon." I blurt out.
"What?" Caroline asks.
"You did not!" Elena says.
"Yup. He drove me home since Matt was staying the night at the hospital, and I invited him in. I got drunk and kissed him."
"No fucking way! Lucky!" Caroline yells. I laugh.

"You guys didn't have sex though right?" Bonnie asks.
"No." I shake my head.
"You have to be careful with him." Elena says. I roll my eyes.
"So are you guys gonna go out? Or?" Caroline asks me.
"I don't know, I mean obviously he's gorgeous. But I don't think he's into me, so we'll just stay friends." I say.
"Friends that kiss when drunk?" Bonnie asks. I laugh and roll my eyes.

"You know what? Imma do it. Imma find Stefan." Elena says getting up.
"Goodluck!" I yell after her.

"I'm gonna go check up on Vic." I say.
"Okay, keep us updated."

She's allowed to come home tomorrow. She's saying it was an animal attack now.

Matt says he's spending the night again. I stay at Elena's not wanting to be alone at home.

The next day Caroline is making us pass out flyers.

I notice Caroline staring at something. It's Damon. She steps towards him but he walks towards me.

"Hi." I say.
"What's this?" He asks looking at the flyer in my hand.
"Comet night." I say handing him one. "It's tonight."
"Are you going?" He asks.
"Don't have much of a choice." I say throwing a glance at Caroline who's staring at us.

"What's her problem?" Damon asks.
"She has a thing for you, I think." I say.
"I'm not really into blondes." He says reaching out to move my hair off my shoulder. I laugh softly as I feel my cheeks turn pink.

"So, will I be seeing you tonight?" I ask.
"Maybe." He says before walking off.

That night we all meet up.

I'm hoping Damon shows up.

Caroline hands out candles and lights hers. Everyone starts lighting eachothers candle. Bonnie lights mine.

I turn to light the next persons and see Damon.
"You showed." I whisper lighting his candle.
"I wanted to see what all the fuss was about." He says turning to light whoever's candle.

"Can we go somewhere to see it better?" He asks me. I nod and start to step away from the crowd. He follows after me.

I sit against the tree. He sits next to me.

"It's so crazy to think that the comet has traveled for so long to get here. It's been traveling since before our great ancestors were born." I say.
"Yeah. Our great ancestors." He laughs.

I see a comet and bring my knees to my chest as I watch.

I glance over at Damon. The moonlight making him look even more majestic. I don't understand how it's even possible.

After a bit we stand up.

"Wanna walk?" I ask looking at him. He nods softly. We start walking.

I walk into the trees.

I step over a tree limb, but step into a small hole in the ground. I fall and feel a branch cut my leg.
"Shit." I whisper. Damon helps me up.

"How bad is it?" He asks. I lift up my pant leg and see the blood.

I look up at Damon but he quickly turns away, but not fast enough. I noticed dark veins under his eyes. I don't know if I'm seeing things.

"I've got to go. Go get that cleaned." He says before walking off.

———— Damon

I saw the blood. I need to feed. I can't feed on her. If I do I can't stop. I'll have to kill her or turn her, neither which I want to do.

I go to find someone. Anyone. Anyone but her.

———— Elise

I get home and Matt calls me to tell me Vicki is missing. I'm not surprised. I sit down and think.

What could that have been with Damon earlier. Nothing has ever really seemed to bother him before, but my blood. And his face when he saw it.

There's no way that's real though.

All the animal attacks... All the dead people.. Is it him? Is it Damon Salvatore?

I reach for my laptop and start typing away.

I just google things about vampires.

Maybe I'm just losing my mind.

I take a deep breathe and go to shower.

After I shower I climb into bed.

I can't sleep. My mind is racing.

If Damon is one, is Stefan too? That could explain all of the things Bonnie keeps saying.

Should I be scared of him? Am I?

I'm going to confront him about it whenever I see him next.

I let my eyes shut.

I'm walking around in the forest.
"It's a pretty night." A voice says next to me. I turn to see Damon walking next to me.
"It is." I say smiling. He reaches out and touches the small of my back.

Chills fill through me.

"Damon." I whisper turning to face him.
"Elise." He says getting closer to me.

His chest is pressed up on mine.

He smiles at me. I return it.

"Damon. I know what you are."
"What's that?" He asks as he moves his face to the side of mine.
"You're- you're a vampire." I say. He chuckles. His breath hits my neck giving me chills.

"I'm a murderous monster." He says as he kisses my neck.

"And I'm hungry." He adds before I feel sharp fangs dig into me.

I jolt up. I'm in my bed. It was all just a dream.

I sigh and glance at my window. There's a crow standing on the windowsill.

I get up and close the curtain.

I climb back into bed.