Chapter 9 - Feelings

Start from the beginning

"I will be back before sunrise," I mumbled, making a promise to my people before using my gift to run to the closest lake. The moon lit my way through the trees of the Mystic Jungle. I could still smell the smoke in the air and the fresh burned leaves. Then, I smelled water. Freshwater. I ran toward the smell, making a sharp turn with the help of the trees. And before I knew it, I was at an open lake where the moon reflected itself like a screen.

I breathed in the fresh air of freshwater and the cool night before starting to undress myself. I slowly walked into the cool water, my body shivering at the contact at first. But I got comfortable and began to clean myself. Washing off everything. The paint on my arms and legs. But the line from my forehead to chin stayed. Like ink.

"Having fun?" I opened my eyes, surprised by the familiar voice. A voice I could not forget. He was here. I sniffed the air. The smell of matted fur and a hint of iron reeked on him. It was the jackal. Without turning around to face him, I spoke.

"Why are you here, Infinite?" I asked, continuing to bathe myself.

"Needed some fresh air. My head has been a mess," he answered, but his voice sounded more desirable. With that thought in mind, I felt his eyes burry themselves into my back. "You do know it is rude to stare at a woman without clothing, right?"

I heard no words from him but a slight shift in his position. I slowly looked behind me to see him facing away from me. His back facing me. I softly smiled. I added, "In my village, it is forbidden to see an unmarried woman's body with no clothing. Therefore, the woman must not look at any man until they are wearing clothes."

I saw the slight flinch in his shoulders. He seems embarrassed or ashamed. As I turned around, he asked, "If the man was blindfolded, would you look at him?"

I thought for a moment. There has been no evidence that it was against my village's vow. "If he could not see the woman's figure, then yes."

"Why? Why is it forbidden to see an unmarried woman...naked in your village?"

"In the name of our goddess, Gaia, she made woman first. Women are the element of mind and beauty. Men are the element of strength and protection. Together, they make a balance to create life. If a man does see an unmarried woman's figure, on purpose or accident, he will suffer from finding no love for five to nine years."

He hummed. "Fair enough. But does that mean that I have bad luck for nine years?"

I let out a small giggle, "Depends on your intentions. If you have a desire to see the woman and you have seen them on purpose, nine years. On accident, five years. If you have no desire, on accident, one year," I explained. "Since you have seen me, not knowing my vows, only one year. Unless you do have desires."

I heard him shuffle for a minute before I heard him walk into the water. I felt my heart pound out of fear. What was he doing? What is he doing? What is he planning?

"I blindfolded myself. I can't see," he said, sounding close. I wrapped my arms around my chest, my heart pounding faster. Is he telling the truth? Or is he trying to get under my skin?

"How can I believe you?" I asked, pushing my fear down to my stomach.

"You can't. You just have to look at me," he replied, his voice sounding dry. No emotion behind his voice. Like he was waiting for me. He was telling the truth. I cannot believe him if he has a blindfold on until I look. With a deep breath, I closed my eyes and turned around. I didn't hear anything from him other than his normal breathing pattern. I slowly opened my eyes to see he did have a blindfold on. And he does not have his mask on. I looked behind him to see his mask on a rock.