Chapter Eight

There were many moments in Jana Flores' life when she was filled with regret, but nothing could prepare her for the morning after. When she awoke, the woman wished she was somewhere else—anywhere else that wasn't Barcelona. The city itself was becoming a curse to her existence.

Sighing when her phone was cleared of notifications. No messages. No calls. Getting dressed was becoming a chore, realising that she had to be at work within the next twenty minutes. Jana looked in the mirror, staring at the Barcelona emblem sowed into the fabric, running her finger along it.

Jana drove to the stadium, tapping her fingers nervously against the steering wheel—scared to see her, scared that she would be fired what she had done. Yet, the therapist knew that Jonatan didn't care, the man loved Jana like a close friend.

Walking down the white hallway towards her office, Jana jumped at the sound of Ingrid yelling her name and waving at her, "Jana!"

"Oh... Hola, Ingrid." The therapist nervously greeted, looking around the hallway to see if anyone had heard her name—more specifically, if she heard her name, "Were you waiting for me?"

"Our session is now, isn't it?" Ingrid asked confused, checking her phone and nodding when it was the correct time, "The hangover was that bad?"

Realising that the athlete was right, Jana laughed along like nothing had happened and opened her office, urging Ingrid to follow after her, "I don't drink often, so..."

"Like Alexia." Ingrid grinned innocently, not noticing how the therapist's eyes widened at the captain's name, fearing that Mapi had told her what happened between them that night. Alexia Putellas was extremely intimidating, she did not want to be on the wrong side of her.

"Right... So, how are you feeling recently? Jona told me that your leg has been bothering you." Jana gulped, remembering the exact conversation with Mapi days before—how she gave a massage to the athlete, how she was teased for giving out 'special treatment'.

"It cramps occasionally, I think it'll be fine." Ingrid smiled, watching as the therapist wrote down into the file, "Are you okay? You seem a bit... off."

Jana's eyes flickered towards the athlete, guilt eating her up inside as she knew that Ingrid was oblivious to everything, "I'm the therapist, you know. It's my job to take care of the team."

"But, who takes care of you?"

The conversation ended, as the therapist deflected and they talked about what they would be doing for their holiday soon. The team were going to be given a break, and Ingrid was returning home in Norway to see her family. Jana said that she didn't have any plans, and that she would try to see her family who live in Tarragona.

She knew that her next appointment wouldn't be until twelve—dreading the name that appeared on the paper, feeling that it was a joke from God to bring Mapi to her, even after what had happened.

Jana sat and pondered, tapping her hand against the hard desk, her mind travelling back to the night before.

"Follow me."

Jana felt a sense of deja vu, as she was dragged through the crowd of her drunken teammates, avoiding their alcohol-laced breath and dancing. Finally, Mapi led them outside to the balcony, that looked over the lit-up street.

Quiet overcame them like a sheet, the small hum of music filled the awkwardness as Jana leaned against the railing while Mapi stood in front of her, staring without shame.

"What?" Jana wondered, looking at the defender and felt a wave of something new drown her as their eyes clashed against each other's—one being glazed, while the other had determination lit behind it.

"You look... Beautiful." Mapi complimented, only able to see the full figure of the therapist now that they were outside, and not in the red-coloured living room as Patri had brought LED lights for a 'mood setter', "You always do."

"Mapi..."

"I asked Alexia to speak to you, because I'm intrigued by you." The defender revealed, stepping closer to Jana who tried to back up but cursed inwardly when the railing behind her stopped her movement.

"You're intrigued because I'm not like the other girls. When you have me, you'll lose interest." Jana stated, which the defender would have agreed with but then she met her, and Mapi shook her head as she knew that it wasn't the truth, "I'll be another name on your list."

"I thought you said that I'm not my reputation. To you, I'm María Pilar León Cebrián." The defender stepped closer, frustration building up inside her as she watched Jana fight inwardly with her own stubbornness, "You said that I'm despicable."

"What does that prove?"

"That you can change your mind. You told me that you don't date unfaithful women, and I've changed. I've changed for you." Mapi revealed, passionate about the words that left her mouth as they were nearly chest to chest, the defender looked down at the therapist with a warm feeling inside of her.

"You're using my words against me," Jana stated, pulling away from the disappointed blonde so that she could think clearly, "I don't know what you want—"

"You. I said that I don't stop till I get what I want." Mapi stated, still as confident as she was since the day of their first session, adamant on her chase for Jana María Flores, "What do you say?"

Warning signs exploded in Jana's head, telling, no, screaming at her to stop. To walk away, and continue with her professional career—to not make the same mistake that she made in Manchester.

But, Jana didn't listen to her head. Rather listening to her—

"Jana?" Mapi questioned one last time, her eyes widened when soft lips surged onto hers, for a second the defender couldn't process what was happening. Her therapist was kissing her on Alexia's balcony.

Mapi froze under the sudden contact, before kissing back with just as much passion, her hand trailing up the side of Jana's hip and reaching behind her neck, deepening the kiss further.

Realisation didn't come to Jana, but Mapi—as the defender pulled away and put distance between them, "You're dr—" Before she could finish her sentence, the therapist had already sobered up and believed that she was being rejected.

"S...Sorry." Jana weakly apologised before running from the balcony and back into the party, calling a taxi to take her home.

Mapi watched from the balcony, as the therapist escaped into the taxi and she had disappeared into the city of Barcelona. The taste of Jana still on her lips made the athlete blush, gripping tightly onto the railing.

A hand on her shoulder made her turn, and Alexia was stood in front of her friend with a pitiful smile, "I think you have your answer, hermana."

That night, Mapi was left with a decision. One that she would learn to regret.

⭐️

What country are you reading this from?