When I met Beckett at Cath's gallery, he seemed oddly focused and intense. Tonight, he hasn't exhibited either of those traits — until now. There's something about the way he's staring at me that makes me hesitate to answer.

"It's way too long for an elevator ride. And honestly, it's the past. Why dwell on it?" I manage a breeze sweep of my hand through the air and force a laugh.

He grins and I shift my gaze up above the elevator door. We're on floor fifteen. Almost there. Tonight I'm thankful for a building with a rocket-like elevator.

"I get it. Sorry to pry." He stuffs his hands in his pockets. A sheepish expression clouds his face, which is actually quite handsome. "I guess it was my stupid way of asking if you're single."

The elevator stops at my floor and the doors open.

I edge out with a grin. "Yes, I'm single."

I'm about to add a but. That's when the door begins to slide open.

"Good. See you tomorrow. Meet me at six in the lobby. Text me if anything comes up."

"Okay," I call out, a little louder than I should, hoping I haven't woken the neighbors. The last thing I want is to make a terrible impression on them my first weekend in the building.

But no one is around.

I'm alone now in this hallway. It's a little eerie, for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. Still wobbly from the beer, I quickly walk to my apartment and let myself in, making sure every one of the five locks Gabriel had installed is secure.

# # #

GABRIEL

"Oh, Gabriel, I want to fuck you right here in this cabana."

I lean out of the kiss and grin. Then I begin to laugh. At first it comes out as a cynical bark, but then I have to tip my head back and let it rip. This is a fucking terrible idea, kissing Stephanie out here.

"Babe, I'm not into public sex."

She slides her hand between my legs, cupping my erection. It's one of those standard erections. Not rock hard (like it would get with Riley) but an acknowledgement that sex could potentially happen.

Except it won't.

"Then take me back to your place." She pushes out her bottom lip, which has lost all of its lipstick from kissing.

I sit up, extracting myself from her grip and ignoring her little whines of protest. "Sorry, Stef. I've got a long day tomorrow. Got a lot going on, and I really need to be going."

My father will be here by this time tomorrow. Christ knows I need a full night and day to prepare for that.

Plus, the mere thought of bringing this woman back to the bed I once shared with Riley feels sacrilegious—a desecration of our sacred space. Guilt floods my veins, a tidal wave of shame, as I reflect on the past half-hour spent entwined in this woman's arms.

"Please? You've left me with lady blue balls."

I smirk at her. "I don't think that's a thing."

She finally sits up. "It is, and I'm feeling it. But okay, I get it. I like a challenge."

We roll out of the cabana and stand. There are several more people in this outdoor lounge area, and I notice them staring at us. Surely they all knew what we were doing, because several other couples out here are doing it, too. No surprise there; I'd seen the private candy bowl of Molly in one of the VIP rooms. I'd declined, because I didn't want that kind of night.